Public-Private Projects Initiative to Develop Soccer Fields
County Executive Statement
Montgomery County is home to over 25,000 youth and adults participating in soccer activities. Due to limited soccer facilities, particularly in the down county region, there is a need for properly built and maintained fields that can operate year round. Park and Planning's 2005 Park Recreation Open Space Plan references the need for 88 additional multipurpose and use rectangular fields for soccer/Football/Lacross. See pages 4-6 of the Executive Summary link below:
To satisfy this need, the County, working through competitively awarded public-private contracts with operators, intends to install and operate soccer field sites in the down county region.
DGS Public Process for Projects (Standard vs. This Initiative)
In keeping with the County Executive’s commitment to transparent and accountable government, the Department of General Services is committed to routinely engaging residents and other interested parties in the development of County projects. This process includes community meetings and public input processes by which we can be best informed about issues of concern regarding design, operation and maintenance of facilities. The County is seeking community input drafting the RFP scope and selection criteria for the non-profit operator, who will develop and maintain the soccer fields.
Community Soccer Field Projects
- The Potomac Community Recreation Center Soccer Field project consists of reconfiguration and demolition of existing baseball/multipurpose fields and hockey rink. The project will consist of private development, maintenance and operation of a soccer field. The developer, under terms and conditions of a County lease, will be responsible to plan, design, construct, maintain and operate the field in accordance with local, state, and federal building and zoning codes and regulations. At least one onsite backstop is to be provided to the County for the use of other games such as baseball, softball, and kickball.
- The Edison Park Drive Soccer Fields project consists of grading and development of existing fields into soccer/multi-purpose fields. The project will consist of private development, maintenance and operation of soccer fields. Development of the project will include design and construction of soccer fields, Stormwater Management, and other requirements. The Applicant shall furnish and maintain accessible portable high standard trailer-type restrooms (no Porta-John). The developer, under terms and conditions of County lease, will be responsible to plan, design, construct, maintain and operate the fields in accordance to local, state, and federal building and zoning codes and regulations. The County will consider development plans. Any improvement plans must be approved by the private property owner.
- 2005 Land Preservation, Parks and Recreation Plan - A Parks Recreation Open Space Plan for Montgomery County, Maryland (Executive Statement)
- 2002 Approved and Adopted Potomac Region Master plan
- 1999 Montgomery County Park and Planning Ballfield Work Group Report