Skip Navigation
YouTube MCDOT Highway Services videos

   Montgomery County Department of Transportation
   Division of Highway Services  


Sidewalks/Curbs - Driveway Apron Replacement Information

The Montgomery County Department of Transportation's Division of Highway Services has adopted a policy to provide residents with an option to replace deteriorated driveway aprons while maintenance work is being performed within their neighborhoods.

The driveway apron is that portion of the driveway within the public right-of-way, generally from the curb section of the roadway to the front edge of the sidewalk, or to the property line. Driveway aprons are for the sole purpose of providing ingress and egress between private property and the public right-of-way. Since the apron benefits only the private property owner and not the general public, County policy requires that the private property owner be responsible for the maintenance of the apron and any existing drainage pipe beneath the apron.

As a result of the policy, a Highway Services' inspector will determine whether your apron qualifies you to exercise this replacement option. He/she will then leave a notice on your door with instructions regarding your participation. If there is no notice left at your door and you believe your apron should be replaced, you may request that an inspector examine the apron at your residence. You may either contact the inspector in your neighborhood while the work is taking place or call the  Customer Service Center at 240-777-6000.

These services are provided by our contractor at the County's contract price. The estimates are priced by the square foot and the total cost is based on the unit price, which is established during the County's procurement process.

If you would like to have personal work undertaken and we are not working in your area, you may still call our contractor for private projects; however, if this includes any construction activity on the public right-of-way, you or the contractor must contact the Department of Permitting Services to obtain a permit. That phone number is 240-777-6300.




For any MCDOT service request or complaint, call 311
When dialing outside of the county, call 240-777-0311 or submit via their website.

For website comments or to report website problems or broken links, please email us.
This email address does not handle service requests or complaints.

Highway Services · Montgomery County Department of Transportation
Questions/Comments · Inside Montgomery County dial 311 · TTY: 240-773-3556
Outside Montgomery County dial 240-777-0311