Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
The Department of Health and Human Services, Community Action Agency
The VITA program provides FREE tax preparation services for low-income County residents.
Appointments now available for 2015!
On-line Scheduling System or call 240-777-1123 for an appointment
VITA FLYER (English and Spanish)
To receive VITA services, your income must be $53,000 or less.
When you come to the FREE tax location, bring the following:
- A Social Security card for EACH family member. We can no longer use prior year files to verify Social Security numbers
- A photo ID for each filer
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2014
- Child care provider name, address, and tax ID number or Social Security number
- All banking account information (a voided check and/or savings deposit slip) to direct deposit your refund
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Any document or information about money you have received from the IRS or state
- All 1099 forms for other income, if any
- Any other tax related documents you have received
- If you are a victim of identity theft, you must bring the letter from the IRS with your PIN number. A new letter is issued from the IRS every year.
- If you purchased health insurance through the Marketplace for 2014, you should receive a Form 1095-A. Please bring this form with you to complete your 2014 federal tax return.
- If you have a Marketplace Exemption, please contact the Marketplace and get your Marketplace Exemption Certificate number to complete your 2014 federal tax return.
- If you are married and filing jointly, your spouse must be present. If you are married and filing separately, you need your spouse's name as spelled on his/her Social Security card and your spouse's Social Security number.
Family Services, INC.
610 East Diamond Ave, Suite 100, Gaithersburg, MD 20877
8513 Piney Branch Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901
Mid County Service Center
2424 Reedie Drive, Suite 238, Wheaton, MD 20902
Interested in Volunteering?
The VITA program includes several volunteer opportunities for interested members of the community. To learn more and complete the volunteer form, please click HERE.
Click on this presentation from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities National Tax Credit Outreach Campaign (http://eitcoutreach.org/) for an introduction to the refundable tax credits. Learn how to help your neighbors access credits.
Multilingual Flyers are also available online
Did You Know?