The School Health Council is an advisory and advocacy group dedicated to promoting the health and well-being of Montgomery County school-age children and youth. It is composed of members representing broad segments of the community with a common commitment to:
- Advocating for cooperation between health and educational agencies of government
- Forging public-private partnerships to support school health programs and services
- Facilitating forums for the discussion of community ideas, questions, and concerns
- Developing specific recommendations to the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) to assure health-conscious programs and practices that are of the highest quality and that are regularly and systematically evaluated
- Raising awareness of the importance of school health programs among politicians, the media, potential resource providers, and the community at large
The School Health Council supports the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) model. This integrates the eight components of coordinated school health with the tenets of a whole child approach, along with the need for alignment, integration and collaboration between health, education, students, families, local business, the media, and the community.
We work to enhance student health instruction, health services, physical activity and nutrition, physical and mental safety and school and community programs by:
- Assuring and promoting the health, safety and well-being of all students as a priority
- Maximizing the effective delivery of school health programs and services
- Assuring the accountability and transparency of health and wellness services
- Enhancing school health program services and cost-effectiveness
The School Health Council is dedicated to helping children and youth be healthy, safe, engaged, supported and challenged, thus allowing them to reach their full potential.
Healthy, successful students help build strong communities.
Membership List March 2017
School Year 2016‐2017 Meetings and Locations
- September 26, 2016 at 8401 Turkey Thicket Rd., Gaithersburg, MD
- December 5, 2016 at Carver Educational Services Center, 850 Hungerford Drive, Room 50
- March 6, 2017 at Rockville Library, 2nd floor meeting room
- May 8, 2017 at 401 Hungerford Dr., Rockville, MD
Meeting Summary Minutes
Inclement Weather Policy: "For consistency, if Montgomery County Public Schools are closed all day, close in the early afternoon, late afternoon or evening School Health Council meetings are canceled."
Meeting Accessibility Policy: Montgomery County will provide sign language interpreters and other auxiliary aids or services upon request -- with as much advance notice as possible, preferably at least five (5) business days before the event. Contact Elizabeth Elliott at 240-777-1550 (voice) or send a request to Elizabeth.Elliott@montgomerycountymd.gov Taking these steps will help us have sufficient time to best meet your needs.
Support to the Council is provided by:
Elizabeth Elliott, School Health Services
Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services