Homeless Resource Day
How to become a volunteer?
Click here to fill out the registration form.
Also please review the roles and responsibilities.
Click here to take the Homeless Resource Day on-line Training
Tuesday, October 29th at 6:15-7:30p
401 Hungerford Drive, 1st Floor, Tan Conference Room
Rockville, Maryland 20850
Please RSVP by emailing to HHSHRD@montgomerycountymd.gov
The day is possible due to the help of many volunteers. During Homeless Resource Day 2011 and 2012, students from Montgomery College, the University of Maryland School of Nursing and community volunteers volunteered. They assisted in various roles, one of the most rewarding was serving as guides by escorting the homeless guests through the facility helping them navigate the services, vendors and exhibits. Some of the comments last year were:
- "I think what you people are doing for the homeless is wonderful; I am very thankful, my guide was awesome."
- "People respected my dignity and my guide from the University of Maryland kept me focused."
- "The guide was fabulous; she was extremely helpful and patient."
(These are basic roles, not a complete list.)
- Greeter-Welcome guests and provide directions
- Guide-Escort guests to the services and resources provided
- Registration Areas-Register guests, vendors or volunteers
- Lobby Monitor-Provide direction and help traffic
- Transportation Guide-Assist guests to connect with transportation and shuttle vans
- Giveaway Area-Distributing donated items
How long are the volunteer shifts?
(These are basic shifts, we welcome your assistance and will accommodate your schedule.)
- 7:30-11:30 a.m.
- 11:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- All Day
Benefits of volunteering
"Volunteers are not paid, not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless" -- Sherry Anderson
- Networking opportunities
- Learn and develop skills
- Teach skills to others
- Gain work experience
- Build self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improve your health
- Meet new people
- Feel needed and valued
- Make a difference in someone's life