Skip Navigation

Division of Solid Waste Services

home icon

recycling bin, paper cart, and trash canMonday, May 30, 2016, Memorial Day: No County-provided recycling or trash collections on May 30; all pickups this week slide by one day. Transfer Station drop-offs and offices closed on May 30.
See holiday details. Sign up for our service updates and reminders.

Property managers: learn about our environmental resources and incentives, with a webinar series just for you!
Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 10:00 to 11:00 am - See webinar details and registration!

OPERATING STATUS: Recycling/trash collections - normal schedule ∣ Transfer Station recycling/trash drop-offs - normal hours

Change from private to County-provided trash collection service

The basic steps required to request a change from privately-contracted trash collection service to County-provided service (or vice versa) are

  1. You submit a petition for the change, signed by 25 percent of the homeowners in your proposed collection area.
  2. Division of Solid Waste Services staff will review the petition.
  3. If the petition is accepted, all homeowners within the proposed boundaries will be notified by mail, and will be asked to vote whether or not they want the County-provided service.
  4. A public hearing will be held on the proposed change.
  5. The votes will be tallied after the hearing.
  6. A decision will be made and homeowners will be notified about the outcome.

See detailed version of request process

Comment on County-provided trash service

Complete this online form, or call Joe O'Donnell, Collections Program Manager, at 240-777-6404

Better understanding residents' needs and wishes for trash collection helps us plan and develop our programs and services.

Even if you are not interested in pursuing a community collection service request at this time, knowing of your interest in our service is helpful.