Return to Recycling and Trash Service for single-family homes
The basic steps required to request a change from privately-contracted trash collection service to County-provided service (or vice versa) are
- You submit a petition for the change, signed by 25 percent of the homeowners
in your proposed collection area.
- Division of Solid Waste Services staff will review the petition.
- If the petition is accepted, all homeowners within the proposed boundaries
will be notified by mail, and will be asked to vote whether or not they
want the County-provided service.
- A public hearing will be held on the proposed change.
- The votes will be tallied after the hearing.
- A decision will be made and homeowners will be notified about the outcome.
See detailed version of request process
Comment on County-provided trash service
Complete this online form, or call Joe O'Donnell, Collections Program Manager, at 240-777-6404
- for more information about the service request process, or
- to start a petition
Better understanding residents' needs and wishes for trash collection helps us plan and develop our programs and services.
Even if you are not interested in pursuing a community collection service request at this time, knowing of your interest in our service is helpful.