How to Adopt
Are you considering adding a new pet to your household? Come visit the Adoption Center and meet our wonderful dogs, cats, puppies, kittens, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, snakes, turtles and other animals waiting for new homes!
When you come in:
- Look at adoptable animals online or just come to the shelter to meet available animals.
- If you are looking for a dog or cat (or puppy/kitten), fill out a “Meet Your Match”TM Survey and an adoption application to help our trained adoption counselors recommend the best animals for your lifestyle.
- A trained adoption counselor will be assigned to take you back to the animal holding areas and show you potential matches. Please note: Due to the time and effort our adoption counselors give to each applicant, we cannot accept applications after 6 p.m. (M, T, Th, F) and after 4 p.m. (Sat. and Sun.) though visitors are welcome to continue looking around until closing.
- If you see an animal that you like, your adoption counselor will bring the animal into a private adoption area so you can meet him/her and discuss his/her individual characteristics, as well as your expectations and needs.
- Once you and your adoption counselor agree that you’ve found a great match, a “hold” will be placed on the animal while the adoption is finalized. In many cases, you may complete the paperwork, sign the adoption contract, pay the adoption fee, and bring your new family member home the same day. In some cases, the animal may be held for up to 48 hours in order to complete any necessary requirements, such as meet-and-greets with other animals in the home.
|Hamster, Gerbil, Mouse, and Rat||$10|
|Small Lizard, Turtle, and Fish||$10|
|Small to Medium Bird, e.g. Parakeets, Finches, Doves, Lovebirds, Cockatiels, etc.||$10 - $50|
|Large Birds, e.g. Parrots, Cockatoos, etc.||$50 - $150|
Adoption Fees for Dogs Generally Include:
- Heartworm Test
- Distemper, Bordatella and Rabies Vaccines
- Flea Treatment
Adoption Fees for Cats Generally Include:
- Feline Leukemia/Feline AIDS Test
- Distemper and Rabies Vaccines
- Flea Treatment
*Please note: An additional licensing fee for dogs and cats may be required depending upon the age of the animal and the town of residence of the adopter.
Contact Us: Montgomery County Animal Services and Adoption Center
Department of Police, Animal Services Division
7315 Muncaster Mill Rd., Derwood, MD 20855 Telephone: 240.773.5900 Fax: 301.279.1063