The Smart Growth Initiative (SGI) is an award-winning comprehensive program initiated by County Executive Ike Leggett that will provide substantial economic opportunities for future growth in Montgomery County. Acknowledging that decisions and policies today will affect the County of tomorrow, the SGI takes the following priorities into consideration:
- Maintain a competitive, resilient, and sustainable economy;
- Create transit-oriented development;
- Replace and modernize antiquated public facilities;
- Redevelop brownfield sites;
- Restore landmark buildings;
- Protect the Agricultural Reserve;
- Create efficiencies and synergies though co-location of related uses;
- Construction of thousands of new housing units, including MPDUs and workforce units;
- Encourage higher paying jobs in a transit-oriented bioscience enclave, and;
- Reduce a significant portion of the $20 million spent annually on rental payments.
Click the pictures below to learn more about Smart Growth Initiative Projects.