Who Repairs What Road?
Roads in Montgomery County are maintained by one of four agencies or organizations:
- The Maryland State Highway Administration (MSHA) maintains all roads that have route numbers. They include roads such as Georgia Avenue (MD 97), Connecticut Avenue (MD 185), Wisconsin Avenue / Rockville Pike / Frederick Road (MD 355), as well as Interstate highways within Montgomery County. These sections are I-495, I-270 and I-370.Check the State website for information. http://www.sha.state.md.us.
- Private Home Owners Associations (HOA's) maintain roads that are typically within the HOA boundaries. An example of this is Rossmoor Leisure World in Aspen Hill. Most town home and condominium roads are maintained by their Homeowner's Associations.
Municipalities such as Rockville and Gaithersburg and others maintain all roads within the municipal boundaries. Click here for information on all Municipalities in Montgomery County:
Montgomery County Division of Highway Services (DHS) is responsible for maintaining all other roads throughout the County. The types of maintenance include resurfacing roads, shoulder maintenance, curb, gutter and sidewalk repair and replacement, roadway tree maintenance
- Main Roads (also known as Primary/Arterial Roads and includes Urban District and Commercial Business District Roads)
- Neighborhood Streets (the interconnecting streets in the community)
- Rural/Rustic Roads (country roads)
Maintenance Activities and Work Schedules
MCDOT's Division of Highway of Services performs three primary types of road repairs on streets that it maintains. These are Concrete Repairs, Street Repairs and Repaving/Resurfacing. The type of work is generally determined by the above described functional class of a given road/street.
Highway Services staff can be contacted through the Customer Service Cente
For any MCDOT service request or complaint, call 311
When dialing outside of the county, call 240-777-0311 or submit via their website.
For website comments or to report website problems or broken links, please email us.
This email address does not handle service requests or complaints.
Highway Services · Montgomery County Department of Transportation
Questions/Comments · Inside Montgomery County dial 311 · TTY: 240-773-3556
Outside Montgomery County dial 240-777-0311