Food and Facilities Licensing
Licensing Services - Permits - Private Schools
(Private Educational Institution)
Who must apply for a private educational institution license?
Any person desiring to operate a private educational institute in Montgomery County for (5) five or more students at one time, or if there is more than one instructor, must obtain a license.
What is a private educational institution (
When must one obtain a private educational institute license?
A license must be obtained prior to operating the private educational institution.
How does one obtain a private educational institution license?
Applications and information on the required attachments are available here:
Download the Application: Private Educational Institution License
PDF Format Word Format
Additional information and approvals may be required, including:
- Use and Occupancy permit 240-777-6300
- Well & Septic approval (where applicable) 240-777-6300
- Montgomery County Fire & Rescue approval 240-777-2457
- Maryland State Department of Education 410-767-0407
- Vocational training which prepares students for gainful employment -contact the Maryland Higher Education Commission 410-974-2971
Submit the application, attachments, and the appropriate fee.
Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.
The application and attachments will be reviewed.
An inspection must be passed prior to the private educational institution license being issued.
Personnel within the Licensure & Regulatory Services section are available to discuss questions during regular working hours (Monday through Friday) 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., 240-777-3986.