Skip Navigation


Food and Facilities Licensing

Licensing Services - Special Food Service Facility (Temporary Event)

Who must apply for a temporary event license?

Anyone who plans to sell or give away food at a temporary event must first obtain a Montgomery County Food Service Facility License. The only exception to the law is the sale of fresh produce or live crustaceans.

What is a temporary event?

A temporary event is an event at a fixed location not exceeding 14 days where either a mobile, permanent, or temporary structure is used to prepare, serve, or sell food or drink.

When must one apply for a temporary event license?

A license must be obtained prior to operating. The application must be submitted at least two working days before the scheduled start of the event. A fee will be charged for applications filed less than two working days prior to the event.

How does one apply for a temporary event license?

Applications and information on the requirements are available from the

Department of Health and Human Services
Licensing & Regulatory Services
255 Rockville Pike, 1st Floor
Rockville, Maryland 20850

Download the Application:

Special Food Service Facility (Temporary Event) License


Fee Schedule


Personnel within the Licensure & Regulatory Services section are available to discuss questions during regular working hours (Monday through Friday) 8:00 a.m.. to 4:00 p.m., 240-777-3986.