Public Administration Intern: Research Assistant
The Office of Legislative Oversight (OLO) conducts program evaluations, budget analyses, performance reviews, and other public policy research projects, as requested by the nine members of the Montgomery County Council. Public Administration Interns (PAI) serve as project Research Assistants, with assignments such as: compiling, organizing, and analyzing program and budget data; preparing charts and graphs; and obtaining comparative information from other jurisdictions. Employment is for a one-year term, with the possibility of an extension beyond one-year. Research Assistant positions are generally filled by students who are recent graduates of a Master's Degree program in public policy or related field.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in Public Policy, Business Administration, or related field (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted).
- Familiarity with the structure of local government and the ability to rapidly acquire knowledge of governmental laws, regulations, and practices.
- Knowledge of research techniques, experience completing quantitative and qualitative analysis; and ability to compile and organize large amounts of information. Familiarity with spreadsheet and database applications, such as EXCEL and ACCESS.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to deal tactfully with different types of people.
Applying for an Internship
Openings occur at various times during the year. If you are interested in applying to work as a Research Assistant with the Office of Legislative Oversight and would like to be notified when an opening occurs, please e-mail your name and contact information to email@example.com.
Additional intern positions are recruited throughout the year by various County departments. For information on other intership opportunities in the County; go to the Office of Human Resources: website, http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/ohr/internship/internship.html