Skip to main content

The King Barn Dairy MOOseum

Once upon a time, Montgomery County had over 400 dairy farms. This fun fact is one of  many that are waiting to be discovered during a visit to the King Barn Dairy MOOseum located within the South Germantown Recreational Park in Germantown. 

The King Barn Dairy MOOseum was founded as a 501C3 non-profit organization.  Once part of a large dairy operation the dairy barn was one of the few buildings that remained after the majority of buildings were lost in a disastrous fire in 1926.  The farm was eventually purchased by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission in the late 1960’s. In 1999, with the encouragement and financial assistance of corporate and individual supporters of youth soccer programs, the land was finally developed by the Montgomery County Department of Parks in the South Germantown Recreational Park and Maryland Soccerplex.

The farm buildings had deteriorated over the years, but the large dairy barn was built solid and through citizen efforts it was preserved as a meaningful landmark of the area’s dairy heritage. The restoration of the barn was completed in 2001. Modifications to the barn allowed public access and they got to share the story with the public through displays of their collection, access to the farm family and educational programs for all ages that was completed in June 2010, allowing the MOOseum Barn to open to the public.  On October 23, 2010 the MOOseum celebrated its opening season with an official ribbon cutting celebration and this year will mark their 7th year of operation.  The MOOseum was founded to celebrate the rich dairy history and all the contributions the industry brought to the county. In the 1950’s the dairy industry was a major economic benefit for Montgomery County.  The MOOseum helps educate the community about how dairy was produced and it retells the history in a way that helps everyone reconnect with the agricultural roots.

At the MOOseum you can see various cow models of different breeds. You can “milk a cow” at one of two simulated dairy cow models and view the  map depicting the historical location of over 400 dairy operations that existed in the County.  There are exhibits of a 1919 Model T Ford Milk Truck, educational videos on how butter and ice cream are made as well as, how dairies operate today and a working model milk train plus an exhibit on nutrition.

“We have a rich diversity of historical dairy memorabilia that will thrill and educate our visitors” says Peg Donnellon, President of the MOOseum’s Board of Directors. Visitors from all over the world have come to the MOOseum to share their stories about dairy farming in the lands they come from.  “We have a diverse community that love to talk about their home countries and how dairy farming is done overseas, it is really interesting to hear these stories” explains Peg.

“People just don’t think of the agricultural aspects of the County and are surprised to learn we still have working dairy farms here in the County” Peg explains.  The MOOsuem is a popular school trip among County schools. Last year over 1,100 students visited the MOOsuem. “It’s important for students to know their farm heritage” says Peg “possessing knowledge of how food is produced underscores just how necessary farming is for life”.

Great News! King Barn Dairy MOOseum will be open Sunday July 24th (However they missed the deadline to be added to the Farm Tour Brochure).  On Sunday, July 24th the MOOsuem will be hosting a special event from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm honoring the Duvall family’s contribution to Montgomery County Agriculture.  For more than 100 years, the Duvall family had farmed one of County’s most historic farms.  Descendants of Sherwood (Sr.) and Verdie Duvall will be at the MOOsuem to tell their family’s story of their historic farm near Damascus, Maryland.

An exhibit has been established for this special Sunday afternoon event, illustrating how the family and their farm have served the Montgomery County area.  The Duvall family story is part of the MOOseum’s continuing Sunday series to showcase farms that contributed significantly in the County’s 240-year history.  Throughout the year, the barn is open for visitors from May through October on Saturdays from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, and on the 4th Sunday of each month from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.  For more information please visit their website at

Return to the Farm Tour and Harvest Sale homepage


The Office of Agriculture · 18410 Muncaster Road · Derwood, Md 20855
Phone: 301-590-2823 ยท Fax: 301-590-2839

Go Top