Bill No. 1-11
Concerning: Administration – Department of Health and Human Services – Duties
Revised: 3/1/2011 Draft No. 6
Introduced: January 18, 2011
Enacted: March 1, 2011
Executive: March 10, 2011
Effective: June 9, 2011
Sunset Date: None
Ch. 3 , Laws of Mont. Co. 2011
For Montgomery County, Maryland
AN ACT to:
(1) authorize the Department of Health and Human Services to provide direct access to health care;
(2) authorize the Department to administer programs to reduce disparities in access to health care, preventative health services, and human services;
(3) authorize the Department to provide health education and promotion programs;
(4) amend the functions of the Commission on Health; and
(5) generally amend the law regarding health and human services and health and sanitation.
Montgomery County Code
Chapter 2, Administration
Chapter 24, Health and Sanitation
Sections 24-22 and 24-24
Boldface Heading or defined term. Underlining Added to existing law by original bill. [Single boldface
from existing law by original bill. Double
by amendment. [[Double boldface
from existing law or the bill by amendment. *
* * Existing law unaffected by bill.
Boldface Heading or defined term.
Underlining Added to existing law by original bill.
[Single boldface brackets] Deleted from existing law by original bill.
Double underlining Added by amendment.
[[Double boldface brackets]] Deleted from existing law or the bill by amendment.
* * * Existing law unaffected by bill.
Sec. 1. Sections 2-42A, 24-22, and 24-24 are amended as follows:
Division 7A. Department of Health and Human Services.
2-42A. Functions, powers, and duties.
* * *
(c) Powers of the Department. The Department may:
* * *
(4) collect data on the health status of County residents, including health disparities and inequities, and on the need for services and the effectiveness of programs;
* * *
(15) conduct studies and investigations; [and]
(16) provide direct access to health care;
(17) administer programs to reduce disparities in access to health care, preventive health services, and human services based on gender, race, ethnicity, and poverty;
(18) provide health education and promotion programs; and
(19) carry out any other functions that are necessary to achieve the purposes of this Section.
(d) Duties of the Department.
* * *
(3) The Department provides staff support to [the]:
(A) the Commission on Children and Youth;
(B) the Commission on Aging;
(C) the Community Action Committee;
(D) the Commission on Child Care;
(E) the Commission on People with Disabilities;
(F) the Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Advisory Council.
(G) the Mental Health Advisory Council.
(H) the Juvenile Court Committee;
(I) the Commission on Health;
(J) the Board of Social Services;
(K) the Adult Public Guardianship Review Board; [and]
(L) the Victim Services Advisory Board;
(M) the Advisory Board for the Montgomery Cares Program; and
(N) any program created to achieve health equity among County residents.
(a) It is the policy of Montgomery County to protect and promote the public health and safety and general welfare by fostering the development of a health care system that provides [[for all citizens,]] financial and geographic access to quality culturally and linguistically competent health care at a reasonable cost for all County residents. To accomplish this purpose, it is essential that plans for maintaining the health of [[the citizenry]] County residents and developing health services to meet the current and future health needs of [[the citizens of the county]] County residents be prepared, programs to implement these plans be developed and executed, and proposed developments or alterations of health services be publicly reviewed and commented [[upon]] on. Health planning should address the overall health status of County residents, [[and]] health disparities within social, economic, geographic, racial and ethnic groups, and the effects of social determinants of health on County residents.
* * *
(a) To advise the County Executive and the County Council, the Commission must:
(1) Periodically review available County public health programs, services, and facilities and data on the health status of the County population and subgroups within it;
(2) Comment on gaps, deficiencies, or duplication in County public health programs, services, and facilities, including health status disparities and inequities;
* * *
(5) Advise on local public health planning needs based on health status data;
* * *