Skip to main content

Resale After the Applicable Control Period Has Expired

​Frequently asked questions

 For MPDUs That Were First Purchased AFTER March 20, 1989 and Before April 2005


For MPDUs that were initially offered by the builder through the MPDU program after March 20, 1989, the owner may sell the MPDU on the open market for a fair market price once the applicable control period has expired.  As part of the initial agreement with the MPDU Program, the MPDU owner is required to share one-half of the “Excess Windfall Profit” with Montgomery County.  This Excess Windfall Profit is the amount of appreciation in the value of the MPDU that exceeds the owner’s initial purchase price plus:

The payment made to Montgomery County is called the Shared Profit.  This money is used to finance and produce new affordable housing in Montgomery County for other low- and moderate-income families.  Montgomery County and the Housing Opportunities Commission (HOC) also have the right to buy the MPDU at the proposed fair market sales price, but, at this time, Montgomery County is not purchasing MPDUs and HOC rarely purchases resale MPDUs.

Steps to Follow.  When an MPDU owners sells an MPDU after the controls have expired, the owner must figure out how much of a Shared Profit is owed to Montgomery County by following these steps: (A one-page summary is available at this link.)   

Step 1 – Send Shared Profit Request, including Calculation of Improvements Credit form and attach copy of first page of the sales contract

Send by regular mail to the MPDU Office or email to a completed copy of the Shared Profit Calculation Request Form and the Calculation of Improvements Credit Request Form (if the MPDU owner is requesting credits for improvements to the MPDU).  Attach a copy of the first page of the signed Sales Contract.

Step 2 – The MPDU Program office sends to the MPDU owner the Shared Profit Calculation, and sends copies to the Real Estate Agent and Settlement Agent listed on the Share Profit Calculation Request Form.  Please allow at least 21 days before settlement for this calculation.  The letter will also indicate that the MPDU Program will not buy this MPDU.

Step 3:  Settlement Company sends a check for the Shared Profit payment to Montgomery County

The Settlement Company must send a check for the Shared Profit Payment and make the check payable to Montgomery County, Maryland.  The check should be sent to:

MPDU Program

Department of Housing and Community Affairs

1401 Rockville Pike, Fourth Floor

Rockville, MD  20852

Attn:  Shared Profit Calculation

If the funds are to be wired, the Settlement Company should send an email to for wiring instructions.   However, the MPDU office prefers that Shared Profits are paid by check whenever possible.


            The method used to calculate the Shared Profit owed to Montgomery County is set by the Executive Regulations governing the MPDU Program.  The following example shows how the Shared Profit is calculated.  The example assumes an initial purchase price of $65,000 in 1995, and a current market sales price of $200,000:

Initial Acquisition Price in 1995


Increase in CPI* (56% increase between 1995 and today)


Documented Capital Improvements


Real Estate Commission** (6% of sales price)


½ of Transfer Tax & Recording Fee (1.1% of sales price)


MPDU Base Price


Fair Market Sales Price (as shown on sales contract)


Less:  MPDU Base Price (from above)


Excess Profit (the Difference Between MPDU Base Price and the Fair Market Sales Price)


Share of Excess Windfall Profit to Owner (50%)


Shared Profit owed to Montgomery County (50%)


Total Proceeds to Seller (available to pay off existing

mortgage, real estate commission, home equity loan, etc.):  


Total Shared Profit to Montgomery County (to be used to produce new affordable housing):                 


* CPI – the Consumer Price Index, a measure of inflation; this number will vary depending on the length of time the MPDU owner owns the MPDU.  The number shown above is only an example.

** Credit for a Real Estate commission may only be given if the buyer and seller use licensed, third-party Real Estate Agents.

Go Top