Local Behavioral Health Authority (LBHA)

As the State-mandated local behavioral health authority (LBHA), this program is responsible for the planning, management and monitoring of public behavioral health services for children with serious social, emotional and behavioral health (mental health) challenges, as well as adults and older adults living with behavioral health needs.  This includes developing and managing a full range of treatment and rehabilitation services, including services for individuals with co-occurring mental illness and substance use disorders, individuals who are homeless, and individuals who have been incarcerated and/or are on conditional release.  Services include the ongoing development of a resiliency and recovery-oriented continuum of services that provide for consumer choice and empowerment, including a team dedicated to behavioral health prevention efforts within Montgomery County.  This program now manages all contracts with Montgomery County Health and Human Services, Behavioral Health and Crisis Services.

See our guide to Montgomery County Behavioral Health Resources (PDF).

How to Apply

No application 

Documents To Bring

Not applicable.

Eligibility Requirements

Must be a Montgomery County resident. 

Fees and Payments

Please see Optum's website for more information about available services in the Public Behavioral Health System, including provider information, fee schedules, and information for families and caregivers.  Optum is Maryland's Administrative Services Organization.


1.  I have heard you focus on mental health--but I have a loved one with a substance use disorder.  Can I still contact you? 

Yes, please do.  The LBHA focuses on all behavioral health disorders, including substance use disorder, mental illness and co-occurring disorders.

2. Are you the same as the old Core Service Agency?

Yes, but an expanded version.  In July 2017, Montgomery  County merged its mental-health focused Core Service Agency with the substance use disorder Local Addiction Authority to create the Local Behavioral Health Authority.

3. I am angry with my daughter's mental health provider and want to make a complaint.  Should I call you?


4. If I come in, will you give me a substance use disorder assessment? 

No.  For mental health and substance use disorder assessments, please call the Access to Behavioral Health (ACCESS) at 240-777-1770.

Additional Information

Director, Regina Morales, 240-777-1400