School Based Health and Wellness Centers

How to Apply

To apply, complete the enrollment packet providing written parental permission and return it to the School Based Health/Wellness Center ( SBHWC ) staff at your child’s school.  The enrollment packet is available at the school office, the school health room, and the SBHWC.  

Documents To Bring

If the child has health insurance, please bring the insurance card when enrolling.  If the child has no insurance, our centers will provide an application and assist the family to obtain insurance or enroll in a health care program such as the Maryland Children’s Health Insurance Program ( MCHP/HealthChoice) or the Montgomery County Care for Kids Program.

Eligibility Requirements

All children who attend a school that has a SBHWC are eligible for enrollment in the SBHWC, regardless of insurance status.  In addition, uninsured siblings can enroll in the SBHWC, as well as Care for Kids clients in the zip code assigned to the SBHWC.

Fees and Payments

No enrolled student will be denied access to care at the SBHWCs.


1. What if I have a regular doctor through private health insurance?

If you have private health insurance, the SBHWC can provide urgent sick care and minor injury visits, and will coordinate follow-up medical services with your private doctor.  Your child should continue to be seen by his or her regular doctor for a yearly check up (physical examination). Children without insurance are eligible for comprehensive check-ups (physical examinations).

2. Are prescriptions included?

The nurse practitioner and physician will prescribe medicines as needed.  Some medications may be obtained at the SBHWC; others may be purchased at your local drug store.  SBHWC staff will explain how to take the medication and answer your questions about it. 

3. Will there be a dentist?

The nurse practitioner will conduct a dental screening on enrolled children. Students in need of further dental care may be referred to the dentist and dental hygienist working in partnership with the SBHWCs through the local Department of Health and Human Services Dental Program or to their private source of dental care.

4. Who will provide the medical care?

Nurse practitioners and physicians under contract with Montgomery County provide primary health care at the SBHWCs.  The school nurse and the certified nursing assistant support these health care partners, and also provide basic school health services to all students during school hours, whether they are enrolled for SBHWC services or not.  Bilingual staff and interpreters are available.

5. Must a parent be present when the child receives medical care?

With permission of a parent, children may be seen for sick care without a parent being present.  The nurse will contact the parent on the day of services.  Parents are encouraged to be present for all well child visits.

Additional Information

No Additional Information at this time