Housing Stabilization Services

Housing Stabilization Services (HSS) provides case management and limited financial grants to support residents at-risk of homelessness.  Services includes assessment of need, emergency financial assistance, and case management to help households keep their current housing, obtain new housing, prevent utility shut-off, restore disconnected utility services, and moving/storage assistance.  Burial assistance grants are also available.  Eviction prevention grants are available to households that meet income guidelines, have received a court judgement for an eviction or "put-out" notice, and have not received an eviction prevention grant in the preceding 12 months. 

If you are experiencing a housing emergency (eviction judgement or red and white notice from the sheriff), please call 311 to be connected with DHHS' Housing Stabilization Services to request eviction prevention assistance.

How to Apply

Request a phone interview by calling 311 (if calling from outside Montgomery County, call 240-777-0311). You may also come in person to the offices below:
  • Germantown Office
    12900 Middlebrook Road, 2nd floor
    Germantown, MD 20874
  • Rockville Office
    1301 Piccard Drive, 2nd floor
    Rockville, MD 20850
  • Silver Spring Office
    8818 Georgia Avenue
    Silver Spring, MD 20910

Documents To Bring

  • Photo ID for all adults living in household.
  • Current balance for checking and savings account.
  • Proof of monthly income for all adult household members.
  • Proof of expenses (e.g., utility bills, phone bills, car expenses, child care, rent/mortgage).
  • Eviction paperwork (court summons, judgement, or "red and white" notice from Sheriff's Office related to an eviction or "put-out" notice from landlord).
  • Rental ledger.
  • Utility bill indicating disconnection date or that service is off.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Montgomery County resident.
  • Household income at or below 60% of the area median income.
  • Household has not received an eviction prevention grant in the past 12 months.
  • Has received a court summons, judgement or "red and white" notice from the Sheriff's Office related to an eviction or "put-out" notice from landlord.

Fees and Payments




Additional Information

Additional resources on tenant rights and responsibilities are available at the Department of Housing and Community Affairs, Office of Landlord-Tenant Affairs.

Households looking for long-term housing subsidies, such as a voucher, are encouraged to apply through the Housing Opportunities Commission.  

If you live within the City of Gaithersburg, City of Rockville, or City of Takoma Park, you may be eligible for support or services through that municipality.

The following organizations may be able to assist tenants:



Eviction Prevention Coordinated Approach

- P745