INSTRUCTIONS – Modified Marriage Application Process – COVID 19

Download the State of Maryland Marriage License Application (For Use During COVID-19 Emergency Only) (PDF)

A Maryland marriage license can be used—and a marriage ceremony can take place—only in the county where the marriage license is issued. The license must be obtained and presented to the official who will be performing the marriage ceremony before the ceremony may take place. It is the responsibility of the parties to know the Maryland county in which the ceremony site is located, and to obtain the marriage license from the Clerk of Circuit Court for that county or, if in Baltimore City, the Clerk of Circuit Court for Baltimore City. Please note that Baltimore City and Baltimore County are two separate and distinct political subdivisions, and a license issued by the Clerk of Circuit Court for one political subdivision cannot be used in the other.


  1. Determine which Maryland county/Baltimore City the marriage ceremony will take place. The license must be obtained from the Clerk of Circuit Court for that county/Baltimore City.

  2. The cost of a marriage License in Montgomery County is $55.00. At this time, because of the emergency situation, will accept checks at this time. We will also accept money orders. Please have check or money order made payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court.

  3. Complete the application.

    1. Current marital status. This section must include information about every previous marriage, including the date and the state or foreign country in which the marriage ended and whether each marriage ended in death or divorce. Attach an additional sheet if there is not enough room on the form for this information.

    2. Sign and date the application and provide a daytime phone number, and an email address. Please note: You are signing under penalty of perjury and swearing or affirming that the information you have provided is true and accurate.

  4. If a party to be married is under the age of 18, and a parent or guardian is providing consent, the “Consent of Parent or Guardian” form must be completed and signed by the parent or guardian, and witnessed by a Notary Public.*

  5. You may submit your completed and signed application, along with any Consent of Parent or Guardian forms if applicable, to the Clerk by courthouse drop box, or first-class mail. The address is Circuit Court for Montgomery County License Department, 50 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, MD 20850. You must include a check or money order payable to Clerk of Circuit Court in the amount of $55.00 for payment of the license fee.

  6. It is recommended that the applicant(s) complete and mail the application at least three weeks before the wedding date to allow time for delivery by the US Post Office, and for resolution of any problems the Clerk may have with the application. Be sure to include a daytime phone number and email address for at least one of the parties, so the Clerk can contact the parties if there are any problems with the application, or if additional information is required.

  7. Once the application is processed, the Clerk will mail the marriage license to the applicant.

  8. In Maryland, marriage licenses do not take effect until 6:00 a.m. on the second day after the license is issued, and licenses ordinarily remain valid for 6 months. During the emergency associated with COVID 19, the 6-month time period is tolled. For any marriage license issued during the emergency, the license is valid during the period of emergency and for up to 6 months after the declaration of emergency has been rescinded.

* NOTE: Additional documentation (e.g.: birth certificate; guardianship order) may be required to show proof that the consenting person is in fact a parent or guardian of the minor party.

Maryland marriage laws can be found in the Annotated Code of Maryland, Family Law Article, Title 2.

Download the State of Maryland Marriage License Application (For Use During COVID-19 Emergency Only) (PDF)

Not Seeing What You Are Looking For? Need Some Help?

Our FAQs
Give Us
a Call