Agenda Items #5&6
April 6, 2010
- Bi114-1O; Workforce Housing Voluntary, and
Zoning Text Amendment 10-01, Workforce Housing - Voluntary
PHED Committee Recommendation:
On March 17, 2010 the Committee (3-0) recommended
approval of Bill 4-10 with the following revisions:
1) Delete the requirement for a minimum of 10 percent of dwelling units to be workforce housing
(lines 18-21); and
2) Delete the provisions to calculate the amount of workforce housing required (lines 30-46).
These changes would allow a developer to provide any amount of Workforce Housing at the developer's
option. Without a minimum requirement, the provision that describes how to calculate the minimum
previously required is unnecessary.
The Committee (3-0) also recommended approval of ZTA 10-01 with the following revisions:
1) Replace the phrase "on-site" with more specific language (lines 11-12);
2) Delete the phrase "not less than" on line 17;
3) Delete the requirement for a minimum of 10 percent of dwelling units to be workforce housing,
consistent with the changes in Bill 4-10 (lines 18-21); and
4) Add a provision to ease the burdens of amending recently approved plans with a workforce
housing requirement (lines 38-41).
These changes would make ZTA 10-01 consistent with the Committee's recommendations on Bill 4-10
and would otherwise make the ZTA more concise and precise.
Zoning Text Amendment (ZTA) 10-01 and Bill 4-10 were sponsored by the Planning, Housing, and
Economic Development Committee. ZTA 10-01 was introduced on January 26, 2010. Bill 4-10 was
introduced on February 2,2010.