Skip Navigation
register on recweb


Teen Works Jobs Header
TeenWorks Job Prep Checklist
Here are a few things you will need to do before getting a job with TeenWorks.
line break
Get a Maryland ID Card
id sample

You will need to go to the MVA if you do not already have a Maryland identification card, driver’s license or learner’s permit. Find MVA locations and hours here.


If you have an non-driver ID card, but it is expired, you can renew it online at Maryland MVA.


Before you go to the MVA, take a look at the MVA Sources of Proof guidelines to find a list of documents you will need to take with you to prove your identity.


You will not get your ID card right away. It will be mailed to you at the address you have on file with the MVA.

Get a Work Permit

All employees under the age of 18 are required to have a work permit in Maryland.


Work permits are only issued when a minor has already been offered a job. Minors much get a new work permit every time they change jobs.


Apply for a work permit online.
Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation’s online form.
Once you’ve finished the application, print the permit and sign it.
Make sure your parent signs the permit as well.
Then take it to your new employer and ask the employer to sign it.


For more information on work permits and employment laws for minors, visit
Maryland Division of Labor and Industry Employment of Minors.

Get a New Social Security Card (If Needed)

Employers will need to take a copy of your social security card when you get a job. If you don’t have one, here’s how to get one.Documents you need:

  • Proof of citizenship – a U.S. Passport or a U.S. birth certificate
  • Proof of age – a U.S. birth certificate
  • Proof of identity – U.S. driver’s license or state-issued identification card or a U.S. Passport


social security card

As you can see, certain documents, like a passport, can serve more than one requirement. However, you must present a total of at least two separate documents (such as birth certificate and driver’s license, passport and birth certificate, etc.)If you are lacking any of the documents listed above, go to the Social Security website and see if there may be an alternative option.


Fill out and print a social security card application.(pdf)


Take your proof of citizenship, age, and identity and your completed application to your nearest Social Security Office. You can find locations here.

Write a Resume
resume drawing

Presenting a potential employer with a resume is a great way to communicate your abilities and experiences. Here’s how to get started:


Get the basics. Make sure you have your full name, phone number and email address at the top of your resume.


Make a list of all the clubs, sports, and educational activities you have participated in. Also be sure to include community service activities and volunteer work, faith groups and other associations that are important to you.


Include any previous work experience you have. This could be formal employment, like working at a store or restaurant, but it can also include babysitting, pet sitting, tutoring and odd jobs that demonstrate your work ethic and experience.


Once you have a list, describe each of those activities. Be sure to use strong verbs and descriptors. For example, instead of “worked with the school newspaper staff,” you might write, “researched and wrote articles for the school newspaper, while leading a staff of other writers.”


Highlight your accomplishments. Did you lead a group of teens in raising a record amount of money for a charity? Did you practice extra with sports teammates leading to an improvement in your record? If you did something special at a particular job or activity, make it known in your resume.


Pare it down. After all of this, your resume may be a little too long. If so, that’s great—you have a lot to be proud of. But employers are busy, so it’s best to bring your resume down to one page in length. If yours is longer than that, read through it several times, and begin to mark off unnecessary information. It may be helpful to keep the most recent activities and achievements, but do what you think showcases your skills the best.

Apply for TeenWorks

Fill out the application at the link below and send it to:

  • Montgomery County Recreation
  • Attn: Joshua Holt
  • 4010 Randolph Road
  • Silver Spring MD, 20902


Once your pre-application is received, you will be contacted by a member of the Youth Development Team. If there are openings in the program, you will be notified and given an opportunity to interview. If there are no openings at the time you apply, we will keep your pre-application on file. We encourage all young people to follow up with a phone call.


After interviews, qualifying candidates will be offered a position on one of our TeenWorks teams. Those who do not qualify will be offered the opportunity to develop their skills further through workshops on interviewing and resume writing.

teen works job application