Montgomery County Community Action Agency
2424 Reedie Drive, Suite 238, Wheaton, MD 20902
The Community Action Agency reduces poverty and increases self-sufficiency among Montgomery County residents
through services, partnerships, and advocacy.
NEW! Now Accepting Applications for the Community Action Board's 2016-2017 Leadership Development Institute
Click HERE to apply online
Click HERE to download the application
*Applications due September 9
NEW! Now Accepting Applications for 2016-2017 Volunteer Maryland Coordinator
The Community Action Agency VITA Program is accepting applications for the Volunteer Maryland Coordinator (VMC) position for 2016-2017. This is an 11-month, full-time (40 hours/week) position as a member of the Volunteer Maryland (VM) AmeriCorps program. VMCs are responsible for developing and implementing a volunteer program. The VMC service year will begin on September 14, 2016 and conclude on August 26, 2017; Volunteer Maryland Coordinators are expected to complete 1,700 hours of service during the term. For more information about the VMC position, please click HERE or call 240-777-1697.
Please click HERE to download the VMC application. Completed applications may be submitted to email@example.com or VITA@montgomerycountymd.gov by August 26.
Check the new EITC outreach website and learn about free tax help, important tax credits
you may be eligible for, financial education resources, and much more!
Register your child for Head Start/PreK
General Information for 2016-2017 School Year
Additional Information in English and Spanish
Community Action/ Head Start Annual Reports
Need help filing your taxes?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program can help!
Click HERE for information about free tax preparation in Montgomery County
Report summarizing the Community Action Board's fall focus groups at the TESS Center. Please click HERE.
*To view a summary of the 2015 poverty forums in Gaithersburg and East County, please click HERE
WHO WE ARE:
The Montgomery County Community Action Agency (CAA), the County’s federally-designated anti-poverty agency, is part of Montgomery’s County Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Community Affairs, and a member of the National Community Action Partnership. The Community Action Agency addresses needs of low-income residents in the County through programs designed to stabilize and strengthen families and communities:
- The Takoma East Silver Spring (TESS) Center – CAA’s “walk-in” TESS Center is a “Neighborhood Opportunity Network” site serving the diverse, low-income community of Long Branch. Its information and referrals, social service assistance, interpretation and translation, education, “VITA” and legal services are delivered in partnership with nonprofits, public agencies and community groups.
- Head Start – CAA is the grantee for Montgomery County’s Head Start Program, serving 648 three and four-year-olds, in partnership with its delegate, MCPS, and Montgomery College.
- Partner agencies – CAA provides oversight, monitoring and technical support to its assigned County contracts, working with 25+ local non-profit organizations delivering job training, legal services, clothing and food, social services, and education.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) – in partnership with the IRS, and with its government, academic, and nonprofit partners, CAA coordinates free, year-round tax preparation for low-income residents.
- The Community Action Board (CAB) serves in an advisory capacity to the County Executive and County Council, and as an advocate on behalf of the poor and working poor of the County. Members are appointed by the County Executive and confirmed by the County Council. The (CAB) supports governance of Community Action Agency programs, including Head Start. County Boards, Committees and Commissions
*The CAB meets the 4th Tuesday of the month (except in July, August and December) at 7 PM at the Executive Office Building, 101 Monroe Street, 2nd Floor Conference Room in Rockville. The CAB Executive Committee meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 4 PM at the MidCounty Center, 2424 Reedie Drive, 1st Floor Conference Room in Wheaton B/C/C Calendar
Follow Community Action on Social Media:
Maryland Community Action Partnership