Volunteer on a County Executive Appointed
Board, Committee or Commission (BCC)
The County Executive and County Council encourages people who live or work in Montgomery County to become actively involved in matters affecting the quality of life in Montgomery County. Appointments are made to over 75 Boards, Committees, and Commissions (BCCs) by the County Executive, with confirmation by the County Council. Generally, BCCs meet one or two evenings per month, have three year terms, and most are advisory in nature. Most members of BCCs are not compensated, but mileage and dependent care expenses may be reimbursed. Vacancies are advertised and often published by area newspapers.
How to apply:
Applications for a BCC should include the following:
- Letter of interest addressed to: The Honorable Isiah Leggett, 101 Monroe Street, Rockville, Maryland 20850
- Letter should indicate name of the BCC that you are applying for, type of position on the BCC (if applicable), and statement regarding why you are applying.
- Please be sure to enclose a resume with home address, home and work telephone numbers, and a clear statement of current employment (job title, place of employment), or an indication if you are retired or not working.
- Applications may be mailed, faxed to 240-777-2517, or sent via e-mail to CountyExecutive.Boards@montgomerycountymd.gov
- A letter of acknowledgment will be sent to you. For most vacancies, interviews are conducted by a Nominating Committee of the BCC and its staff liaison. Recommendations for appointment are then made to the County Executive.
- Once appointments are made, applicants are notified of the County Executive's decision. This process usually takes three to four months to complete.
If you have any questions, you may call 240-777-2528 or if you need additional information, click here and submit your request.