COVID-19: Rent Relief Program 

Información en Español


The COVID-19 Rent Relief Program provides short-term rental assistance to eligible households who have experienced lost income due to the COVID-19 pandemic that has caused them to fall behind on their rent. The program is managed by the County's Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) with funding from the Department of Treasury's Emergency Rental Assistance Program.


While funds are available, the program will provide up to $12,000 to eligible households to pay for back rent owed and/or pay for up to three months of future rent.  For households below 30% of the Area Median Income (AMI), additional financial help may be available.  Funds awarded will take into account any other local, state, or federal assistance received to pay rent.


Frequently Asked Questions:

I am struggling to pay my rent, is there assistance available?

If you are behind on your rent because of a COVID-19 related loss, assistance may be available through the Department of Health and Human Services' (DHHS) Housing Stabilization Services. Please complete the  online application. If you are unable to complete the online application yourself or with assistance from your property/landlord, call 311 (240-777-0311) to request help.  A County employee will call you back to help you complete your application.

Who is eligible for the COVID Rent Relief Phase 3 Program?

 Households must meet the following minimum eligibility requirements:

  • Have experienced a loss of income due to COVID-19
  • Gross household income from previous 30 days at or below 50% of AMI
  • Have been a Montgomery County resident since at least August 2020
  • Owe at least $1,000 or more to current landlord

What is Area Median Income (AMI) and how do I know if my income is below 50% of AMI?

The Area Median Income is calculated by looking at the “middle” income of all households in the area. The table below lists the maximum annual or monthly gross income amounts.

Family Size Max. Annual Gross Household Income
50% AMI
Max. Monthly Gross Household Income
50% AMI
$44,100  $3,675
$50,400 $4,200
$56,700 $4,725
$63,000 $5,250
$68,052 $5,671
$73,104 $6,092
$78,156 $6,513
$83,196 $6,933 

How do I apply?

You can apply  online. You will be asked to answer questions about your COVID-19 related impact, household members, income, and rent. Please be prepared to upload supporting documents and have your landlord's information available. Please note you will need an email address to complete the application. If you don’t have an email address, please consider setting one up or connecting with your property/landlord or anyone else that may be able to assist you.

I do not have access to the internet, and I am not able to receive assistance completing the application from my rental office. How do I apply?

If you do not have internet access or need other accommodations to complete the application, you may call MC 311 (240-777-0311) to request a County representative call you for assistance.  MC311 will collect basic information from you and a program representative will call you back to help you complete the application.

What documents do I need to apply? 

You will need the following documents to complete your application:

Photo Identification: Copy of a driver’s license, passport or other official photo ID for each adult member.  
Verification of Residency/Address: You will be required to provide documentation that you live at the address you are applying for assistance for. You can do this with a bank statement, official piece of mail, utility bill or other documentation that confirms your address.
Income Verification: You will be required to provide documentation and/or self-certification that you have a gross household income that does not exceed the program limits.  To verify income, applicants must provide documentation from either their 2020 tax return or from the previous 30 days. This can include:

  • pay stubs
  • interest statements
  • unemployment compensation statements
IRS Form 1040 filed for the 2020 calendar year, or self-attestation/certification that clearly notes pre-COVID and current income

​Rent Confirmation: You will need to provide documentation to show your rent responsibility, payment history and amount owed. This can be through rent ledger, lease, or other documentation that in combination provides the required information.
Landlord Documentation: Your landlord is requested to register with the County’s vendor registration system and provide documentation that confirms tenancy, rent information including amount of monthly rent and how much is owed.

I am on the waitlist and haven't yet received assistance.  How do I confirm that I am on the waitlist?  And do I need to apply again?

Everyone that has completed the online waitlist form or called 311 to be placed on the waitlist will be contacted to complete a full application. If you provided an email address, you will be emailed the application link. If no email address was provided, a County employee will reach out to you to connect you with the application. A full application must be completed. You do not need to wait to hear from us to complete the full application. Your application will then be processed per the program guidelines. 

Is there a deadline to submit my application?

No, there is no set deadline for application submissions; however, applications will be accepted until all program funds are fully expended. Funds are limited.

Is there a U.S. citizenship requirement?  Do you require a Social Security number as part of an application?

Evidence of legal status is not required. The funding for this program is part of the Coronavirus stimulus bill passed by Congress; because it is emergency assistance, documentation of household legal status is not required. Similarly, social security numbers are not required.  

What income needs to be reported and what do I need to include to show this?

Applicants must submit an accurate count of every member of their household and the income generated by all members of the household 18 and over that are not full-time students.

Income can be reported as either your household income on your 2020 tax return or your gross income from the previous 30 days. Gross Income should be reported prior to any deductions such as taxes and insurance. This includes but is not limited to: wages, social security, benefits/pensions, public assistance, unemployment, interest income, or child support. Please do not include Economic Impact Payments (Federal or State) or Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (this is the extra $300-$600 provided with your unemployment benefits) when reporting your gross income.

What if I've had to move since August 2020?  Am I still eligible?

As long as you still have a rent responsibility and have been a resident in Montgomery County since at least August 2020, even if you have moved within the County after that date.

I have an agreement with a friend to pay for some of the household expenses, but do not have my own lease, am I still eligible for assistance?

As long as you have an obligation to pay rent you are eligible for assistance, even if you have an informal lease. Whomever you have agreed to pay rent to will certify in writing how much you are expected to pay monthly and how much you have paid/owe.

I receive assistance to pay my rent from a housing subsidy program (housing choice voucher, rental assistance program, etc.), am I still eligible to apply?

Yes. You are still eligible to apply but assistance can only be provided on the portion of rent that is your responsibility. Additionally, we strongly encourage you to notify your subsidy provider of your change in income.

How much money am I able to get? 

Eligible households may receive up to $12,000. Households with gross income below 30% AMI may be eligible for additional support. The funds are specific for rent and will take into account any previous funds received through COVID Rent Relief or other local, state or federal funds for COVID related rent support.

I already got assistance, but I am still behind on my rent. Can I get more help?

Yes. Even if you have already received COVID Rent Relief Program funds, you are eligible to apply again for additional funds, up to the program limit.

How will you process applications? Is it first-come, first-serve?

Applications will not be processed on first-come, first-serve, but instead will be processed based on a number of criteria, including location, employment status, and eviction status.

DHHS developed a Homeless Prevention Index to evaluate all neighborhoods in relation to COVID-19 impact, housing stress, and social determinants. This index will be used to prioritize assignment of applications for processing. You can view the map of priority areas at

Additionally, households who have a member that has been unemployed for the previous 90 days or households with current eviction notices or judgements from the District Court will be prioritized.

These prioritizations will enable to the program to ensure that an equity lens is utilized, recognizing that communities of color have been significantly impacted by COVID, disproportionately experience homelessness, and are more likely to get evicted. 

What if I do not live in one of the targeted “high impact” neighborhoods?

Phase 3 of the COVID Rent Relief Program will prioritize households renting in “high impact” neighborhoods. Households that are eligible, but do not live in the targeted “high impact” neighborhoods will be contacted as program capacity allows.

Will I receive the money directly?

In most cases, the grant goes directly to the property owner/landlord as a credit against your rent bill. If we are unable to coordinate with your landlord, the payment may be issued to you directly.   

I do not have a letter from an employer, I am self-employed, or I do not have regular work hours.  What do I do to verify my income? 

You will be able to upload a self-certification in the application portal. This should include your employment/income information before COVID-19 and your current employment/income information.

I already received funding from the first phase of the DHHS COVID Rent Relief Program or another rental assistance program earlier this year.  Can I apply again for more funds?

If you have already received assistance through the DHHS COVID-19 Rent Relief Program, the State Assisted Housing Relief Program, Housing Opportunites Commission's COVID Rental Assistance Program or any other program to provide rental assistance, you  ARE eligible to receive COVID-19 Rent Relief Funds.

Will I have to report this money on my 2021 taxes?

No, in most cases the grant goes directly to the property owner as a credit against your rent bill. Landlords do need to report as rental income as a rental payment.

Will accepting this assistance be counted as public charge?

DHHS is not a legal authority on public charge. We will recommend you contact the following legal resources if you have a concern.

I was able to pay my rent up until now, but do not think I will be able to pay next month, can I get help?

Unfortunately, this program is only available to households that owe at least $1,000 on their rent. If you find yourself in that position, please apply at that point. 

Will I have to pay this money back?

No, this is not a loan.  You will not have to pay the County back. 

My landlord says I need to leave immediately if I cannot pay everything in full.  Where am I supposed to go?

Only a sheriff, with a court order, can evict you. Please reach out to Landlord and Tenant Affairs at 240-777-0311 and the Police Department non-emergency line at 301-279-8000. Additional information is available on the  Department of Housing and Community Affairs (DHCA) COVID-19 website

I have a Court summons for an eviction hearing, what should I do?

We encourage you to participate in the court proceedings as you may be eligible for a COVID related delay in eviction. Please review the information available on the  DHCA COVID-19 website.

I am a landlord and I think my resident may be eligible, what can I do?

Please complete the landlord portion of the application and support your tenant in completing their part of the application.

What documents does the landlord need to submit?

All landlords should register in the  County’s Central Vendor Registration System to receive a payment from the County. You will also be required to provide documentation that shows how much your tenant pays monthly, how much they have paid and how much they owe.  You must also disclose any other assistance being received for that unit.

Are there any requirements on the landlord to receive this assistance?

Landlords must agree to the following conditions:

  • Forgive late fees, penalties, interest and legal fees;
  • Cancel any current eviction actions and not sue to evict while receiving COVID Rent Relief Program funds and for 30 days after relief period (this does not include breach of lease actions for safety);
  • If lease has expired, offer a lease renewal for a 90 day period; and
  • Notify DHHS and return any remaining funds if tenant moves out.

See more rent help resources

Programa de Ayuda para la Renta, debido al COVID


El Departmento de Salud y Servicios Humanos ( DHHS) del Condado de Montgomery, provee asistencia de renta temporal a todos los hogares que hayan experimentado perdida financiera debido a la pandemia del Covid-19, que haya ocasionado que se atrasen en el pago de su alquiler. Este programa es financiado por el Programa de Emergencia de Asistencia de Renta, administrado a través del Departamento del Tesoro.

Mientras los fondos esten disponibles, el programa cubrirá hasta $12,000 en ayuda de alquiler para hogares elegibles, para cubrir el pago atrasado y pago a futuro por hasta tres meses. Para hogares debajo del 30% del Ingreso Promedio del Area, fondos adicionales pudiesen estar disponibles. Fondos otorgados tendran en cuenta cualquier otro tipo de ayuda recibida a nivel local, estatal o federal para el pago de la renta.

Preguntas frecuentes:

Tengo dificultad en pagar mi renta. ¿ Hay algun tipo de ayuda disponible?

Si está atrasado con la renta debido a una perdida relacionada con COVID, pudiese encontrar asistencia a traves de los Servicios de Estabilizacion de Vivienda del Departamento de Salud y Servicios Humanos (DHHS’ Housing Stabilization Services). Favor complete la aplicación en línea disponible  AQUI. Sino puede completar la aplicación en línea por usted mismo o con asistencia de su arrendador o dueño de la vivienda, favor llame al 311 (240-777-0311) para solicitar asistencia. Un empleado del Condado lo contactará y ayudará a llenar su aplicación.

Cómo puedo aplicar?

Usted puede aplicar en línea directamente desde la página principal del COVID Alivio de Renta. Se le pedirá que responda preguntas relacionadas con el impacto del COVID en los miembros del hogar, ingreso y alquiler. Favor esté preparado para adjuntar documentos que respalden su caso y tenga la información del arrendador disponible. Favor tener en cuenta que necesitaremos una dirección de correo electrónico, por lo tanto le pedimos considerar crear una o ponerse en contacto con el arrendador/dueño de la propiedad o cualquier otra persona que lo pueda ayudar.

No tengo acceso a Internet y tampoco a recibir asistencia para completar my aplicación de la oficina del propietario, ¿cómo puedo aplicar?

Sino tiene acceso a Internet o necesita apoyo especial para completar la aplicación, puede llamar a MC 311 (240-777-0311) para solicitar que un representante del Condado lo llame y pueda asistir. MC311 recolectará su información básica y un representante del programa le devolverá la llamada y ayudará a completar la aplicación.

Estoy en la lista de espera y aun no he recibido asistencia. ¿Cómo se si estoy en la lista de espera? ¿Necesito aplicar nuevamente?

Todos los que hayan completado el formulario de lista de espera a traves de la Internet (en línea) o llamado al 311 para ser puestos en la lista de espera, serán contactados para llenar completemente la aplicación. Si indicó correo electronico, entonces se le enviará el enlace (link) de la aplicación. Sino indicó correo electrónico, un empleado del Condado se comunicará con usted para conectarlo con la aplicación. La aplicación debe estar completemente llenada. No necesita esperar a escuchar de nosotros para llenar la aplicación. Su aplicación pasará luego a ser procesada de acuerdo a las regulaciones del programa. 

¿Hay una fecha límite para enviar mi aplicación?

No, no hay una fecha límite para envío de las aplicaciones, sin embargo, aplicaciones serán aceptadas hasta que los fondos sean agotados. Los fondos son limitados. 

¿Quién es elegible para el programa de la Fase 3 del COVID Alivio de Renta?

Los hogares deben cumplir con los siguientes mínimos requerimientos:

  • Haber experimentado una perdida de ingreso relacionada a COVID
  • Ingreso bruto del hogar de los últimos 30 días debe ser o estar debajo del 50% del Ingreso Medio del Area ( AMIpor sus siglas en inglés)
  • Haber sido residente del Condado de Montgomery desde por lo menos Agosto 2020
  • Deber por lo menos $1,000 o más, al actual dueño o arrendador

¿Existe un requerimiento de Ciudadanía? ¿Se requiere de numero de Seguro Social como parte de la aplicación?

No se requiere evidencia de estado legal. Los fondos de este programa son parte del  proyecto de ley para el estímulo económico por Coronavirus aprobado por el congreso; debido a que es asistencia de emergencia, documentación de estado legal del hogar no es requerido. De igual manera, números de seguro social no son requeridos. 

¿Qué es el Ingreso Medio del Area (AMI, por sus siglas en ingles y cómo se si está por debajo del 50% del AMI?

AMI es el Ingreso Medio del Area. Es calculado viendo el ingreso “medio” de los hogares del área. La tabla debajo detalla los montos máximos de ingreso bruto anual y mensual.

Tamaño de la Familia Max. Ingreso Bruto Anual
50% AMI
Max. Ingreso Bruto Mensual
50% AMI
$44,100  $3,675
$50,400 $4,200
$56,700 $4,725
$63,000 $5,250
$68,052 $5,671
$73,104 $6,092
$78,156 $6,513
$83,196 $6,933 

 ¿Qué ingreso debe ser reportado y qué necesito hacer para demostrarlo?

Aplicantes deben reportar el conteo preciso de cada miembro del hogar, y el ingreso generado por todos los miembros del hogar de 18 años para arriba, que no sean estudiantes a tiempo completo.

El ingreso puede ser reportado ya sea a través del ingreso del hogar como lo muestra en su declaración de impuestos del 2020 o el ingreso bruto de los últimos 30 días. El ingreso bruto debe ser reportado antes de todos los descuentos tales como impuestos y seguro. Esto incluye, pero no esta limitado a: salario, seguro social, beneficios/pensiones, asistencia pública, desempleo, intereses de ingresos o manutención de hijos. Favor no incluir el Pago de Impacto Económico (Federal o Estatal) o la Compensación  Federal de Desempleo por la Pandemia (estos son los $300-$600 extra proporcionados con sus beneficios de desempleo) cuando reporte su ingreso bruto.

Para verificar ingreso, los aplicantes deben proporcionar la documentación ya sea de su declaración de impuestos del 2020 o los últimos 30 días. Esto puede incluir: colillas de pago, estados de cuenta de intereses, estados de cuenta de desempleo, formulario 1040 del IRS declarado en el año calendario 2020, o declaración propia/certificación que claramente demuestre el ingreso pre-COVID y el actual.

¿Qué pasa si tuve que mudarme desde Agosto 2020, aun soy elegible?

Siempre y cuando tenga una responsabilidad de renta y haya sido residente del Condado de Montgomery, desde por lo menos Agosto 2020, aún si se ha mudado dentro del Condado después de esa fecha.

Tengo un acuerdo con un amigo de pagar parte de los gastos de la casa, pero no tengo mi propio alquiler, ¿aún soy elegible para asistencia? 

Siempre y cuando tenga una obligacion de pagar renta usted es elegible para la asistencia, aun si es que tiene un contrato informal. Con quien sea que usted haya acordado pagar la renta debe certificar por escrito como se espera que usted pague mensualmente y cuanto usted pagó/debe.

Yo recibo asistencia para pagar mi renta de un program de subsidio de vivienda (cupón de elección de vivienda, programa de asistencia de renta, etc.), ¿soy elegible para aplicar?

Si. Usted aún es elegible para aplicar, pero la asistencia solo puede aplicarse a la porción de la renta que le corresponda. Adicionalmente, le sugerimos encarecidamente que notifique a su proveedor de subsidio de su cambio de ingreso.

¿Cuánto dinero puedo obtener? 

Hogares elegibles pueden recibir hasta $12,000. Hogares con ingreso bruto debajo del 30% AMI podrían ser elegibles para apoyo adicional. Los fondos son específicamente para renta y tomará en cuenta cualquier fondo previamente recibido a través del COVID Alivio para Renta u otro fondo local, estatal o federal relacionado al COVID de apoyo a la renta.

Ya recibo asistencia, pero estoy atrasado ¿puedo obtener más ayuda?

Si. Aún si ya ha recibido fondos del Programa COVID Alivio de Renta, usted es elegible para aplicar nuevamente para fondos adicionales, hasta el límite del programa.

¿Cómo se procesarán las aplicaciones? ¿Es por orden de llegada?

Aplicaciones no serán procesadas por orden de llegada, sino será procesado basado en diferentes criterios, incluído ubicación, estatus de empleo y estado de desalojo.

DHHS ha desarrollado un Indice de Prevención de Sin-Vivienda para evaluar todos los vecindarios en relación al impacto de COVID-19, costo de la vivienda en relación al ingreso y factores sociales. Este índice será usado para dar prioridad a la asignación del proceso de las aplicaciones. Puede ver el mapa de áreas de prioridad en

Adicionalmente, hogares que tengan algun miembro que haya estado desempleado en los últimos 90 días, hogares con notificaciones de desalojo u orden judicial de la Corte del Distrito, tendrán prioridad.

Estas prioridades permitirán que el programa se asegure de que criteros de igualdad sean utilizados, reconociendo que las comunicades de color han sido impactadas significativamente por COVID, experimentado desproporcionadamente estar sin vivienda, y más propensos a enfrentar desalojo.

¿Qué pasa si no vivo en una de las áreas identificadas como vecindario de “alto impacto”?

La Fase 3 del Programa COVID Alivio de Renta dará prioridad a los hogares que rentan en las áreas de vecindario de “alto impacto”. Hogares que sean elegibles, pero que no vivan en las áreas identificadas como vecindario de “alto impacto”, serán contactados segun lo permita la capacidad del programa.

¿Recibiré el dinero directamente?

En la mayoría de los casos, la asistencia va directamente al dueño de la propiedad/arrendador como crédito a su factura inicial. Sino podemos coordinar con su arrendador, el pago puede ser emitido a usted directamente.

¿Qué documentos necesito?

Necesitará los siguientes documentos para completar su solicitud:

  • Identificación con Fotografía: Copia de la Licencia de Conducir, Pasaporte u otra identificación oficial con fotografía de cada miembro adulto.
  • Verificación de Residencia/Dirección: Se le pedirá que proporcione documentación de que vive en la dirección para la que solicita asistencia. Puede hacer esto con un estado de cuenta bancario, un documento recibido oficialmente a través del correo regular, una factura de servicios públicos u otra documentación que confirme su dirección.
  • Verificación de Ingresos: Se le pedirá que proporcione documentación y/o auto-certificación de que tiene un ingreso familiar bruto que no excede los límites del programa, basados ​​en el tamaño del hogar. Esta puede ser su declaración de impuestos del 2020, colillas de pago, carta del empleador, carta de desempleo o auto-certificación /certificación.
  • Confirmación de Alquiler. Deberá proporcionar documentación que demuestre su responsabilidad de alquiler, historial de pagos y monto adeudado. Esto puede ser a través del libro mayor de alquileres, contrato de alquiler u otra documentación que en combinación proporcione la información requerida.
  • Documentación del Arrendador: Se solicita al arrendador que se registre en el Sistema de Registro de Proveedores del condado y que proporcione documentación que confirme el arrendamiento, información sobre el alquiler, incluída la cantidad del alquiler mensual y la cantidad adeudada.

No tengo una carta de un empleador, trabajo por cuenta propia o no tengo un horario de trabajo regular. ¿Qué hago para verificar mis ingresos?

Podrá subir una auto-certificación en el portal de la aplicación. Esta debe incluir su información de empleo/ingresos antes de COVID y su información de empleo/ingresos actuales.

Ya recibí fondos de la primera fase del Programa COVID Alivio de Renta del DHHS u otro programa de asistencia de renta a principios de este año. ¿Puedo volver a solicitar más fondos?

Si ya ha recibido asistencia a través del Programa COVID Alivio de Renta COVID del DHHS, del Programa de Ayuda de Vivienda Asistida del estado, del HOC COVID Programa de Asistencia de Renta o cualquier otro programa para brindar asistencia de alquiler, usted es ELEGIBLE para recibir Fondos de Alivio de Renta COVID.

Para todos los demás programas de asistencia de alquiler del HHS, el límite de beneficios estándar de 12 meses se ha eliminado durante esta etapa de emergencia de salud pública. Si cumple con los demás requisitos de elegibilidad, aún podría recibir un beneficio.

¿Tendré que declarar este dinero en mis impuestos del 2021?

No, en la mayoría de los casos, la subvención va directamente al dueño de la propiedad como un crédito a su factura de alquiler. Los propietarios deben reportar como ingresos de alquiler los pagos de renta recibidos.

¿Aceptando esta ayuda se contará como carga pública?

El DHHS no es una autoridad legal de carga pública. Le recomendamos que se comunique con los siguientes recursos legales si tiene alguna inquietud:

Pude pagar mi alquiler hasta ahora, pero no creo que pueda pagar el próximo mes, ¿puedo obtener ayuda?

Desafortunadamente, este programa solo está disponible para hogares que deben por lo menos $ 1000 en alquiler. Si se encuentra en esa posición, favor aplique en ese momento.

¿Tendré que devolver este dinero?

No, esto no es un préstamo. No tendrá que devolver el dinero al Condado.

Mi arrendador dice que debo irme de inmediato si no puedo pagar todo en su totalidad. ¿A dónde se supone que debo ir?

Solo un alguacil, con una orden judicial, puede desalojarlo. Comuníquese con Asuntos de Propietarios e Inquilinos al 240-777-0311 y a la línea de No Emergencia del Departamento de Policía al 301-279-8000. Información adicional está disponible en  Department of Housing and Community Affairs (DHCA) COVID-19 website.

Tengo una Citación judicial para una audiencia de desalojo, ¿qué debo hacer?

Lo alentamos a participar en los procedimientos judiciales, ya que podría ser elegible para una demora en el desalojo relacionada con COVID. Revise la información disponible en  DHCA COVID-19 website.

Soy propietario y creo que mi inquilino puede ser elegible, ¿qué puedo hacer?

Complete la parte del arrendador en la solicitud y ayude a su inquilino a completar la parte que le corresponda en la solicitud.

¿Qué documentos debe presentar el arrendador?

Todos los propietarios deben registrarse en el  Sistema Central de Registro de Proveedores del Condado para recibir un pago del Condado. Se le requerirá que presente documentación que demuestre cuánto paga su inquilino mensualmente, cuánto ha pagado y cuánto debe. También deberá declarar cualquier otra ayuda que reciba para esa unidad.

¿Existe algún requisito para que el arrendador reciba esta asistencia?

Los propietarios deben aceptar las siguientes condiciones:

  • Perdonar cargos por pagos atrasados, multas, intereses y cargos legales;
  • Cancelar cualquier acción de desalojo actual y no demandar desalojo mientras recibe fondos del Programa COVID Alivio de Renta y durante 30 días después del período de alivio (esto no incluye incumplimiento de contrato por acciones seguridad);
  • Si el contrato de arrendamiento ha vencido, ofrezca una renovación del contrato de arrendamiento por un período de 90 días; y
  • Notifique al DHHS y devuelva cualquier fondo restantes si el inquilino se muda.