Rental Assistance Program (RAP)

How to Apply

Renewal applications can be requested by calling the office, 240-777-4400, and are mailed out as a courtesy two months prior to benefits expiring. It is the applicant’s responsibility to renew on time. 

Documents To Submit at the time of Renewal

  • Proof of gross income for the last thirty days (pay stubs or letter from employer, current award letter for Social Security, SSI, pension, annuity or retirement, child support received, unemployment)
  • Financial bank statements for all accounts indicating interest or dividends earned and the principal balances
  • Most recently filed  Federal Income Tax Form (1040) with all attachments (including W-2 and 1099 forms)
  • Proof of  out-of-pocket child care or medical expenses for the last twelve months

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must be a renter in Montgomery County and your rent cannot exceed program limits
  • You must be a legal resident of the U.S. or receive Temporary Cash Assistance ( TCA) for your children
  • Your monthly gross income cannot exceed program limits (see table below)
  • Your household assets must be less than $10,000
  • If applying as a one person household, you must be disabled or at least 62 years of age

Rental Assistance Program Income Guidelines (as of October 1, 2019)

Household # Max. Monthly Max. Yearly % Tenant Responsible
1 $3,542 $42,500 35.0%
2 $4,046 $48,550 32.5%
3 $4,550 $54,600 30.0%
4 $5,054 $60,650 27.5%
5 $5,463 $65,550 25.0%
6 $5,867 $70,400 25.0%
7 $6,271 $75,250 25.0%
8+ $6,675 $80,100 25.0%

Fees and Payments



1.   How is my Rental Assistance check issued once I am approved?

Checks are mailed to your address at the end of each month for the following month’s rent. Checks are made payable to both you and your landlord.

2.   How long can I receive benefits?

Benefits are approved for a maximum period of 12 months. A new application is required to determine continued eligibility.

3.  Is the Rental Assistance Program (RAP) currently accepting applications?

The Rental Assistance Program is not currently accepting applications. 

4.  What if I live in Public Housing or have a Housing Choice Voucher rental subsidy?

Federal regulations prohibit the receipt of Rental Assistance Program (RAP) by households who receive assistance under a Housing Choice Voucher or live in a Public Housing unit.

5.  Do you provide eviction assistance?

NO, please contact your local Housing Stabilization Services Office.

6.  How much assistance is available?

Eligible households can receive between $50 and $200 per month.

7.  Can the Rental Assistance Program (RAP) assist with room rentals?

In some instances RAP can assist with room or basement rentals.

8.  If I move will I still continue to receive a benefit?

Notify your caseworker if you are moving and reapply within thirty days at your new address. If you remain eligible at your new address, you can continue to receive monthly benefits.

10.  Am I eligible if I rent from a relative?

 If you rent from a relative who does not live with you, you are not eligible for the Rental Assistance Program (RAP). If the relative lives with you, all persons living at the application address are treated as one household to determine eligibility

Additional Information

No additional information at this time.