The mission of our office is to enforce consumer protection laws prohibiting unfair and deceptive business practices in order to ensure a fair marketplace for consumers and businesses. Activities include complaint resolution, law enforcement, education, legislation, advocacy, licensing, and outreach.
OCP provides volunteers and interns an opportunity to work in a professional and friendly environment; learn about consumer rights; build their resume and share their skills.
We are seeking dependable volunteers who can assist investigators with cases, provide office support, complete special projects, and work with our commissions and boards. We offer five (5) volunteer programs:
- Office Assistant: Participants in our Office Assistant program assist OCP with general administrative duties including receptionist duties, and light typing; and special projects including research assignments as appropriate. We require a minimum commitment of four (4) hours per week.
- Investigator Aide: Volunteers in our Investigator Aide program assist OCP investigators by reviewing consumer complaints, drafting letters, and attempting to resolve consumer disputes. We require a minimum commitment of four (4) hours per day two (2) days per week. Applicants should possess proficient writing and analytical skills.
- Bilingual Volunteer: Volunteers in our Bilingual Volunteer program assist non-English speaking consumers with questions or complaints regarding car repairs/sales, home improvement, retail sales, credit problems, deceptive advertising and a variety of other consumer transactions, etc. They also assist merchants wishing to obtain licenses and registrations. Proficient oral and written translation abilities are required. We also require a minimum commitment of four (4) hours per day one (1) day per week.
- College or Law School Interns: Volunteers in our College Intern program can receive college credit if approved by their school. The intern will receive training on consumer protection laws, investigative techniques, and business procedures. Intern will complete special projects as assigned. Internships are available during the school year, including the summer session.
- High School Student Intern (MCPS SSL Approved): Participants in our High School Student Intern program assist with general administrative duties and special projects. Student interns will receive training on general consumer protection laws and business practices. We provide students with a suitable work environment.
To Apply: If you are interesting in joining our team and meet this criteria, please complete our volunteer application and return it to: email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in our office. If you have any questions, please contact us at 240.777.3636.