Skip Navigation
logo of MCDOT
   Montgomery County Department of Transportation
   Division of Transportation Engineering  


Drainage Assistance


The Montgomery County Department of Transportation (MC-DOT) has two assistance programs pertaining to drainage issues associated with surface runoff from roads and other property owned and maintained by Montgomery County. One is for maintenance of existing storm drain systems and the other is for addressing communities’ requests for drainage improvements.


For drainage concerns on existing storm drain systems where maintenance is needed, such as clearing of debris from inlets, storm drain pipes, and/or drainage channels, re-establishment of drainage channels which may have eroded or silted up over time, water ponding on roads (puddles, potholes), or reconstruction of roadside curbs, please contact Montgomery County's Main Line at 3-1-1 (from outside Montgomery County dial 240-777-0311).  e-mail address:


The Division of Transportation Engineering (DTE) administers and manages the County’s Drainage Assistance Request Program. The purpose and goal of this program is to solve drainage problems where there is no storm drain system or the existing system is failing or is inadequate. Through this program, the Design Section receives and addresses requests for assistance to correct drainage problems where the runoff water originates from the public Right-of-Way.


A request for assistance can be initiated by completing the Drainage Request Form (click below) a telephone call, e-mail, FAX or letter to the Design Section of the Division of Transportation Engineering (DTE). A County staff knowledgeable in surface runoff issues will review the request in a timely manner. After the review has been completed, you will receive an explanation of the review findings and proposed action.

e-mail address:
Phone Number:240-620-9115

Online Application:


  • Nuisance Drainage Problems such as neighbor’s fence blocking yard ditch, house gutter spouts drain on neighbor yard, minor ponding in yard, swimming pool discharges on land
    Montgomery County Department of Housing and Community Affairs--Code Enforcement Division- 240-777-3785
  • Flooding and drainage from State Roads
    State Highway Administration (District 3) - 301-513-7300
  • Permit for construction on County Right-of-Way (such as driveway culverts), waterway construction permits, sediment control/storm water management
    Montgomery County Department of Permitting Services--Land Development Division- 240-777-6259
  • Stream erosion on private land, stream valley improvements, swimming pool discharges in waterways, private pools and hot tubs, storm water management ponds, watershed management, water quality/pollution, fish kills
    Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection—Division of Environmental Policy & Compliance - 240-777-7770
  • Stream erosion on park land
    Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission—Parks Department- 301-495-2500
  • Drainage issues within City of Rockville
    City of Rockville DPWT - 240-314-8567
  • Drainage issues within City of Gaithersburg
    City of Gaithersburg DPWT- 301-258-6370
  • Broken water main or sanitary sewer problems
    Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission- 301-206-4002



For any MCDOT service request or complaint, call 311

When dialing outside of the county, call 240-777-0311 or submit via their website.

For website comments or to report website problems or broken links, please email us. This email address does not handle service requests or complaints.

Transportation Engineering · Montgomery County Department of Transportation
100 Edison Park Drive · Gaithersburg, MD 20878 ·
· telephone: 240-777-7220· fax: 240-777-7277 ·