Recreation & Libraries
- Adult Day Centers
- Senior Centers
- Senior Recreation Programs
- Library Services for Seniors
- Navigator: Vital Living After 50
Adult Day Centers enrich peoples’ lives by providing a safe, accepting environment and a sense of belonging. Day centers help older adults maintain their mental and physical abilities and give them something to look forward to each day. Adult day centers also support caregivers by providing an affordable, safe, care option. When a loved one goes to an adult day center, caregivers can go to work worry-free, receive emotional support, or take time for themselves.
Who benefits from going to an adult day center?
- Want to stay in their homes but need daytime assistance
- Have physical or cognitive conditions that require monitoring
- Need socialization and stimulation
What do adult day centers offer?
Day centers offer a safe environment, personal care, and professional services by nurses, social workers, or therapists. They may also offer:
- Healthy meals and snacks
- Monitoring and administration of medicines
- Caregiver support
- Physical activity
- Celebrations and field trips
How do people choose an adult day center?
Visit several adult day centers at least once to get a feel for their day-to-day activities. Make an appointment to talk with the social worker, director, nurse, or other professional staff. Adult day centers must be licensed by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, review this list of licensed centers in Montgomery County. To choose an adult day center, you should evaluate:
- Physical Environment
- Nursing and Social Work Services
How do people pay for adult day centers?
- Private pay
- Long-term care insurance
- Center-based scholarships and/or sliding scale
- State and local government assistance
- Tax write-offs