Back to Legal Help Home

Housing (Eviction and Foreclosure)


* For more information on renters' rights, what to do if you get an eviction notice, how to get assistance with rent, and more, visit the Department of Housing and Community Affair's website (English) (Español)
  • Maryland Court Help Center: Call or chat: 410-260-1392 (from 8:30 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.), or Visit in-person

    Provides help with civil matters if you do not have a lawyer and are representing yourself.

  • Maryland Legal Aid Bureau 

    Free civil legal services for low-income residents. Handles multiple areas of law, including consumer, employment, family, long-term care, housing, government benefits, criminal record expungements, and more. United States citizens, lawful permanent residents and certain other categories of immigrants are eligible for services.

    • Montgomery County Office: 240-314-0373
    • Telephone Intake: (888) 465-2468
    • 600 Jefferson PLZ., STE. 430, Rockville, MD 20852
  • Homeless Persons Representation Project: 410-685-6589 

    Provides free legal services, including advice, counsel, education, representation and advocacy, for low-income persons who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

    Foreclosure & Other Homeowner Issues:

  • Maryland Legal Aid's Foreclosure Legal Assistance Project:  888-213-3320  
    • Call for legal assistance if you are behind on paying your mortgage.  
  • Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
    • Foreclosure Mediation Brief Advice Project: 443-808-0076 (Mondays: 1:30 - 6pm; Wednesdays: 8am - 12:30pm) 

      Program provides free legal consultations for homeowners facing foreclosure who do not have legal representation. 

  • HOPE hotline: 877-462-7555

    Call as soon as you start having trouble paying your mortgage for guidance on next steps.

  • Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland's Home Preservation Project

    Assists homeowners in the areas of tax sale prevention, utility bill advice, and estate planning (wills, powers of attorney, and advance medical directives).


  • Montgomery County Office of Human Rights: 240-777-8450
    • Contact the Office of Human Rights if you feel you have been discriminated in employment, real estate, housing, or public accommodations, on the basis of race, gender identity, color, religious creed, genetic status, age, disability, or sexual orientation.
  • Equal Rights Center:  866-549-0009;  [email protected]
    • Civil rights organization that identifies and seeks to eliminate unlawful and unfair discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodations in Greater Washington, D.C. and nationwide.​