Hauler and Collector Licensing, and Vehicle Registration

Collector/Hauler home page

Transfer Station Tipping Floor
For your safety, beginning January 2, 2023, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) enforcement will begin on the main tipping floor. You will not be permitted to access the tipping floor and dump without this required PPE: HIGH VISIBILITY VEST, HARD HAT, and CLOSED TOE SHOES. Without the required PPE, you will be asked to exit the site and come back once you have obtained it.

Anyone collecting or transporting solid waste within Montgomery County, Maryland, must be licensed, per Chapter 48, Sections 48-19 to 48-30, of the Montgomery County Code (PDF 253 KB).

To receive a license and vehicle registrations, you must submit the application with all information and documents. We cannot process incomplete applications. We must receive completed renewal application at least 30 days prior to your expiration date.

Have questions?

Email the License Program Specialist at DEP.Licensing@MontgomeryCountyMD.gov or at 240-777-6566.

Collector and Hauler License Requests

Applications and instructions for license requests are available online. All license certificates and decals will be mailed to the  mailing address listed on the application. Additional assistance can be obtained using the following two methods:

  • Telephone and email inquiries
    • Staff will be available to assist and respond to your telephone inquiries and questions by calling 240-777-6566 Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. All inquiries, questions, and information may also be submitted via email by sending an email to DEP.Licensing@MontgomeryCountyMD.gov.

How long are licenses valid?

Solid Waste hauler and collector licenses expire one year from the date of issuance. Vehicle registrations expire on the same date as the license.

Must my company be located in Montgomery County?

You must either have an office business address in Montgomery County, or provide a local or toll-free telephone number.

Which laws apply to collectors and haulers in Montgomery County?

You must follow the provisions of the Montgomery County, Maryland, Solid Wastes Law (Chapter 48).

We will mail the Solid Wastes Law to you only upon request.

What data must I report?

In accordance with Executive Regulation 5-13AM, all County licensed haulers and collectors must submit a semi-annual tonnage report.

Which documents are required for licenses and vehicle registrations?

To ensure the timely completion and processing of your initial application and/or renewal of your current application, you must take the following actions and submit the required documents in order before we can inspect your vehicles.

All vehicles used for hauling and/or collection must have registrations issued and decals affixed under your hauler or collector license.