Frequently Asked Questions 

Inmate Account

Can I process funds without an inmate facility id?
No, to ensure that an inmate account is properly credited, we must have an inmate ID or processing the inmate fund will be delayed until an ID is secured. To obtain inmate facility id please call: (240) 777-9732

What form of payment do you accept for deposit into an inmates account?
We accept cash, credit card (Master and Visa), debit cards and government issued checks only.

How can I use cash, credit or debit cards to make deposits against an inmate account?
The Secure Deposit Kiosk: is a new efficient way to collect cash, credit and debit card transactions electronically and post to inmate accounts. The kiosk is located in the front lobby of each facility.  The secure deposit Kiosk accepts cash denominations of $5 $10 $20 $50 & $100.00. The machine will not accept $1 dollar bills. A charge of $3.00 will be assessed for transactions of $.01-$300.00.

Credit & Debit Deposits Via Lobby Kiosk or Internet: The Secure Deposit Kiosk also accepts Visa and Master Card transactions as well as debit card transactions as a form of payment. Payments can also be made via the internet at

The deposit fees for credit & debit transactions via the lobby or the internet are listed below: 

Amount Fees
$01-$19.99  $2.95
$20.00-$99.99  $5.95
$100.00-$199.99 $7.95
$200.00-$300.00  $9.95

Credit & Debit Deposits via the phone: Funds can be deposited into inmate accounts via the phone. When making deposits via the phone, you will need one or more of the following: Inmate booking date, date of birth, the state where the inmate is currently incarcerated and the name of the correctional facility. Transactions are posted usually within 10 minutes of completed transaction. The toll free phone number is 1-866-345-1884.

The fees for phone charges are listed below:

Amount Fees
$01-$19.99  $3.95
$20.00-$99.99  $6.95
$100.00-$199.99 $8.95
$200.00-$300.00  $10.95

What is the maximum amount I can deposit?
The maximum amount that can be deposited in an inmate's account is $300.00 per transaction.

What if two inmates have the same name in the Secure Deposit Kiosk?
In order to verify the accuracy and eliminate mistaken deposits, offender ID is verified at point of sale by last name, date of birth or booking date search.

Will I get a receipt after I deposit money?

  • Yes

When does an inmate have access to his/her funds?
If funds are deposited using the Secure Deposit Kiosk, inmates have access to his/her account immediately. If making payment via the internet or phone it can take up to 10 minutes to post to an account.

Can we wire or western union funds?
We do not accept wire or western union funds.

Can I deposit money any time of the day?
Acceptable funds can be deposited during the facility hours of operation

Do you accept money order for commissary?
No.  We accept cash and credit card at the kiosk.  We also accept checks from other jurisdictions and government checks.

Do you accept insurance, personal or payroll checks?
No. We only accept government issued checks.

When are commissary orders placed and received?
Commissary orders are placed Friday through Thursday each week; order deadline is 2pm on Thursday and Saturday is delivery day between the hours of 7am-11am.

When is the last day/time to deposit money in order to make the commissary deadline?
Funds must be deposited by 8:00am on Thursdays.

How much money is in my son /daughter’s account?
We cannot disclose any financial information to family members and or friends.

What are some of the basic hygiene items that can be ordered from the commissary?
Soap, toothpaste, deodorant, socks and underwear, etc.

What did my son/daughter order from the commissary?
Due to confidentially we cannot disclose any information regarding an inmate commissary history.

Can you mail a copy of the commissary item list with prices?
We cannot mail a copy of the commissary item list, however; if you contact our office we can provide an average cost of items. Contact info: 240 773-9731.

Upon transfer/release, how do I obtain my funds from the facility?
Money remaining in your canteen account will be given to you the day of release. If you are being transferred to another facility and the sheriff do not take your money. You may write us to have your funds forwarded to your new location.

How can an inmate release money to an outside party?
Money release request forms are processed on the 15th and 30th of each month. An inmate can release all or part of their funds by completing a money release request.

Inmate Mail/Correspondence

Policy Change Inmate Mail/Correspondence

As part of our on-going efforts to provide a safe and secure facility, the Montgomery County Department of Correction and Rehabilitation has implemented the following policy change.

Effective October 21, 2020, there have been changes in the mail policy.  Please review the new policy (1200-6-1) prior to sending any correspondence.   

  • Effective September 15, 2021, if any photograph within a mailing is deemed to be a violation of Departmental Policy, ALL photos in the mailing will be returned to sender, there will be no partial delivery. 
  • Effective September 8, 2021, photographs sent through a third party vendor (ie. Shutterfly, FreePrint,  etc.) will not be accepted.  All photographs must arrive in a plain white envelope with a clearly marked return address from the individual sending the photographs.  All photographs will be inspected.  Photos larger than the standard 4X6 are not acceptable.  Any photographs deemed to be a violation of Departmental Policy will be returned to sender. 
  • Effective September 8, 2021, inmates are limited to seven (7) items of reading material (including books and magazines combined).  Any reading materials in excess of seven (7) will be considered contraband and confiscated and placed in the inmate’s property.  Inmates may coordinate for an outside party to pick up confiscated reading material. It is the responsibility of the inmate to ensure that they do not exceed the seven item limit and to coordinate property retrieval by an outside party.  Please check with an inmate prior to sending reading material to ensure they do not exceed their limit.  If an inmate has reached their limit of reading material, any subsequently received reading material will be immediately returned to sender and will not be stored or kept at the facility.  
  • Effective January 28, 2018, the Montgomery County Department of Correction and Rehabilitation will no longer accept incoming inmate mail at the Montgomery County Detention Center (MCDC). All incoming inmate mail should be addressed to the inmate using the following address: Montgomery County Correctional Facility (MCCF), 22880 Whelan Lane, Boyds, Maryland 20841. Once the mail is received and processed at MCCF, it will then be delivered to the Montgomery County Detention Center (MCDC) to be disseminated to the inmate worker population. Any inmate mail received after the above effective date at the Montgomery County Detention Center will be returned to sender.
  • Effective November 1, 2017 the Montgomery County Department of Correction and Rehabilitation will no longer accept incoming mail that is received in colored envelopes. We will only process and deliver mail that is received in a plain white envelope. All inmate mail received after November 1, 2017 in anything but a white envelope will be considered contraband and returned to sender.   

  •  Inmates may send and receive unlimited amounts of mail on a daily basis.
  • All mail received must have a return address or it will be returned to the post office. All received mail will be opened and inspected for contraband (items not allowed to be received while confined at the Correctional Facility). 
  • Mail containing contraband may be returned to the sender or in case of contraband that may be considered a violation of Maryland law, may be turned over to the Montgomery County Police Department for disposition.  Examples of contraband include:  postage stamps, photographs depicting pornography, cash, clothing, etc.
  • Please make sure the inmate’s name is clearly indicated on the envelope/package.

    Mail sent to inmates must be mailed to the following addresse:
  • Montgomery County Correctional Facility
    Attn: [Inmate Name and ID Number]
    P.O. Box 247
    Phoenix Maryland 21131
  • Inmates have the opportunity to purchase from the commissary stamped envelopes and other writing materials. When inmates are without funds, they may order a limited number of stamped envelopes and other writing materials from the Kiosk/Canteen.
  • If an inmate is no longer within one of our facilities, all mail will be returned to the sender.
  • Inmates cannot receive e-mail communication. 
  • It is extremely rare that we would pass a message on to one of our inmates.  It is the inmate’s responsibility to keep in contact with family and friends.

Major emergencies, may be called in to the facility at 240-773-9700 (Montgomery County Correctional Facility) or 240-777-9810 (Montgomery County Detention Center)

Inmate Locator

Montgomery County Department of Correction and Rehabilitation does not have an automated list of offenders.  However, you may use the following link to determine if person is incarcerated anywhere in the State of Maryland (or other participating states, commonwealths and the District of Columbia)
If you need to obtain specific location, obtain an inmate’s identification number or have additional questions about a person incarcerated/detained in any Montgomery County Department of Correction and Rehabilitation facilities, please call Inmate Records Section.
Inmate Records Section phone number: 240-777-9730

Physical address:
Montgomery County Detention Center
ATTN: Inmate Records
1307 Seven Locks Road, Rockville, Maryland 20854

After Hours Inmate Records Section Coverage

On Friday and Saturday between the hours of 11pm and 6:30am, calls to Inmate Records are forwarded and answered by Montgomery County Detention Center Shift Commanders.  You may contact them directly at 240-777-9810. 

DOCR Human Resources

Do you have an opening and where can I go to see job announcement?
You can visit the Montgomery County Careers Web site at

Do you have to be a US Citizen or a Resident Alien to apply for correctional positions?
Yes, you must be a US Citizen or a Resident Alien to be considered for a correctional position.

How long will it be before I hear back from the department after taking the Correctional Officer examination?
We will contact only those applicants who received a "Well Qualified" rating for processing. Applicants will receive an email 4-6 weeks after the examination.

How long is the public safety background phase of the employment process?
The process takes between 6-10 weeks, depends on information being received on a timely basis and the applicant maintaining required appointments.

Should I resign from my current position while being processed for DOCR?
No, you should not resign from your current position after receiving the contingent job offer from DOCR. The final job offer will be provided by Montgomery County once you have successfully completed all the requirements of the employment process and background investigation.

Where can I find a description of job benefits?
You can visit the Montgomery County Careers Website to view County benefits.

What are the minimum qualifications to be come a Correctional Officer?
The minimum qualifications  to become a Correctional Officer are: 18 years of age, have a valid driver's license, be a US Citizen or Resident Alien, and have one year of work experience.

If I want to be a Correctional Officer, can I get a pre-employment tour of your facilities?
No. We do not give tours prior to employment for applicants.

Can I send my resume for any position to your office?
No. The Montgomery County recruitment process is paperless; therefore you must apply online going through the Montgomery County Career Website at for positions that are posted

Inmate Phone Calls

  • Inmates have daily access to collect call only telephones.
  • All outgoing calls must be collect or by Prepaid Account. (see ICSolutions information below).
  • Telephone calls may be monitored and/or recorded.
  • There is no provision for incoming calls to inmates incarcerated at the facility.
  • Correctional facility personnel do not accept or pass along phone messages.
  • If you receive a call from an inmate incarcerated in one of our facilities and do not wish to accept the call then or in the future, please follow the phone prompts; they will allow you to restrict future calls.
  • In the event that you mistakenly block a call from the facility, you may contact the inmate phone system provider and have the block removed by calling 888-506-8407.
  • International calling cards are available for purchase through inmate commissary.

ICSolutions Prepaid Account

ICSolutions is the inmate phone management system utilized by the department. As part of its role to help inmates complete as many calls as possible, ICS has established a pre-paid collect procedure (Prepaid Account). There is no fee for setting up these accounts. Family and friends call the operator and send a cashier’s check or money order along with their name, address, and the destination telephone number to:

Attention: Customer Service
2200 Danbury St., San Antonio, TX 78217

If they choose to use a credit card, they may call the operator at 1-888-506-8407. There is a credit card processing fee associated with this method. They may also use Debit Cards, or Western Union.1-800 numbers can NOT be called from within the correctional facilities.

The Prepaid Account process is the only method for inmates to make calls to friends and families that utilize companies such as Comcast, Vonage, Cavelier, Covad, etc. as their local telephone company, or if they use a cell phone.

Prepaid Account Information and Live Operator | 1-888-506-8407

Posting Bail

All bails, fines, and fees are accepted at the District Court Commissioner's Office and must be paid by cash, certified check or cashier's check.

District Court Commissioners Office Rockville
Address: 191 East Jefferson St Rockville, MD 20850
Telephone: (301) 563-8850
Office Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

District Court Commissioners Office | Located within Montgomery County Central Processing Unit
Address: 1307 Seven Locks Road Rockville, MD 20854
Telephone: (301) 610-7217
Office Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

District Court Silver Spring | This office accepts bonds, fines and fees
Address: 8552 2nd Avenue Silver Spring, MD 20910-3380 
Telephone: (301) 563-8550
Office Hours: 7am to 11pm

Parole and Probation

How can I contact my Parole Officer?
Click on the link for information:
Maryland Division of Parole and Probation Regional and Field Offices


Pre-Trial Supervision

Will Pre-Trial be calling my place of employment?
Possibly.The Pre-Trial case managers understand that many defendants do not wish their employers to be aware of their arrest.  In many instances, work may be verified through a friend or relative or by your bringing a current pay stub to your appointment.  However, if you are missing Pre-Trial appointments due to your work and have not provided verification, your employer may be called.  Although your case manager will attempt to work with you to set appointments that will not interfere with your work schedule, ultimately you are responsible for making arrangements to meet your obligations to report to Pre-Trial.

What happens if I miss an appointment?
A missed appointment is a violation of the conditions of your release.  Depending upon your charge and other circumstances regarding your case, your case manager may notify the court of a missed appointment. If you encounter circumstances beyond your control that may cause you to miss an appointment, call your case manager to discuss the issue.  Your case manager may still require you to report or may schedule another appointment date at his or her discretion. If you are under “Tracking” supervision and are required to call in only, your telephone calls are your appointments.  If you realize you’ve missed a call, telephone your case manager immediately.  If it is after hours, leave a message and call back on the next business day.

Why do I have to submit to urinalysis if I don't have a drug charge?
The staff at Pre-Trial supervision is aware that some drugs may stay in your system for a time if you used them prior to your arrest.  If you have been ordered to participate in treatment, you must follow through on this order.  If the judge did not order you to treatment, Pre-Trial may continue to monitor your use through regular urinalysis, or, if it is indicated you are continuing to use, you may be referred to treatment or a violation petition may be issued to the court.

Will someone come to my house?
Possibly.  Your case manager may make a scheduled or unscheduled visit to your home to verify your address.

Will the judge know if I am doing well on Pre-Trial Supervision?
Yes!  A report is submitted to the court when you are scheduled for a trial, plea or sentencing.  The judge may use the information contained in a Pre-Trial report to help determine whether you should remain out on bond pending future court dates or what kind of sentence you should receive.  The judge will also be notified if you are violating the conditions of your release.  In some instances, Pre-Trial may request that your bond be revoked if you are not following the conditions of your release.

The Commissioner released me and told me to call this number.
The Commissioner released you to Pre-Trial Services and you must call us within 24 hours or the next business day to set up an appointment to come in for your intake interview. Pre-Trial supervision is a condition of your bond and is MANDATORY until a judge says otherwise. You will be scheduled for your first appointment in about 1-3 business days and it will be during business hours. You will be at Pre Trial Services for approximately 1-2 hours the first time. During the interview you will be assigned a caseworker and your reporting days.

Tips for successful Pre-Trial participation

  • Report for all appointments at Pre-Trial and/or treatment programs.
  • Report any problems you are having to your case manager.
  • Bring your reporting card with you to all Pre-trial appointments.
  • Keep a record of all of your treatment appointments, including the date and who you saw.
  • Report any changes in your address, employment or telephone number to
    Pre-Trial, treatment agencies and your attorney.
  • Obtain an attorney either privately or through the Office of the Public
    Defender as soon as possible.
  • Report to court for all of your court dates.
  • Stay arrest-free.

Pre-Release and Reentry Services (PRRS)

When are sentenced individuals eligible for consideration for PRRS?
Under Montgomery County statutes, PRRS may serve individuals who are within 12 months of release from confinement. However, PRRS generally aims to enroll individuals into its program when they are within 6 months or release, and will enroll individuals for longer periods of time when there are specific needs and benefits.

Do I need to be a resident of Montgomery County to participate in the program?
No. Individuals serving sentences of 18 months or less in the Montgomery County Department of Correction and Rehabilitation are eligible for consideration for PRRS whether they are residents or not. The program also serves individuals returning from the State Division of Correction who are within six months of release, who have been approved by PRRS screeners, and who will be returning to Montgomery County. Finally, the program has a contract with the Federal Bureau of Prisons and will screen for eligibility individuals who are within six months of release and returning to the Greater Washington Metropolitan Area.

What offense charges would rule out an individual's eligibility for PRRS?
Individuals with a past conviction for escape from any type of correctional program are ineligible for PRRS. However, the offenses of all candidates are carefully scrutinized, and PRRS screeners will only recommend individuals into the program that can be safely managed in a community correctional setting.

Do you take sex offenders?  If so, why and what do you do with them?
Individuals with sex offenses are considered and placed at PRRS with the belief that the public's safety is enhanced when soon-to-be released sex offenders can address their reentry needs and avoid post-release homelessness and an inability to support themselves. All individuals with sex offenses are placed on GPS electronic monitoring, complete a registration process with the local police and must participate in sex offender treatment services. As with all residents, they only access the community with pre-approval from PRRS.

How do I apply for consideration for PRRS?
All sentenced individuals incarcerated in the Montgomery County Department of Correction and Rehabilitation's detention facilities – Montgomery County Detention Center (MCDC) and Montgomery County Correctional Facility (MCCF) –are considered for eligibility for PRRS on a weekly basis automatically. Individuals must be within the statutory guidelines of having 12 months or less remaining on their sentence, be able to work legally, be free from serious continuing cases, warrants, and detainers, and be able to comply with the rules of a community correctional program.

Can I be pre-screened for consideration for PRRS?
PRRS will pre-screen defendants who are awaiting sentencing to determine their eligibility for PRRS. The program conducts these pre-screenings at the request of the Court, the State Attorney's Office, the Defendant's attorney, and Parole and Probation agent.

What actually does the screening (or pre-screening) process entail?
The screening process involves several steps including an application filled out by the candidate, a one-to-one interview process that lasts almost an hour where the PRRS screeners will administer a structured questionnaire, the administration of several nationally-recognized evaluations (instruments) that provide a needs and risk assessment, and a complete review of criminal history records. This information is gathered and discussed at a screening meeting where final recommendations are made to the Division Chief concerning placement. In all cases the sentencing judge must consent to the transfer of individuals to PRRS.

Is there a waiting list of candidates for PRRS?
There is no waiting list for individuals sentenced to the Montgomery County Department of Correction and Rehabilitation.

Will individuals lose their jobs if they come to PRRS?
PRRS will do all it can to allow an individual to continue working with their current employer as long as it meets the program requirements. All jobs must be "legal", involve a supervisor who is not an immediate family member and who agrees to abide by the requirements of the program (all employers are informed about client's status with PRRS and their criminal charges), not be involved in the criminal offense, and provide an ability to locate the individual during the course of the day. PRRS Work Release Coordinators assist clients with their job search and carefully evaluate different job possibilities.

What is Home Confinement?
PRRS provides services to clients both who are living at the pre-release center and who may be living in their own homes in the home confinement program. Clients eligible for consideration for home confinement are carefully selected for this program and must abide by strict requirements that are the same for those living at the Pre-Release Center. All community activities still require pre-approval and clients must submit to three or more randomly assigned alcohol tests administered remotely each day, must come into the center three times weekly for drug testing and case management services, and are monitored electronically.


The Montgomery County Ride-On-Bus System does provide transportation to the facilities during established times.  For information about schedules, fares, and routes contact the Montgomery County Transit Services Division (Ride On) at (240) 777-7433.

Facilities and Divisions Public Transportation
Montgomery County Detention Center Take Route 47
Montgomery County Correctional Facility Take Route 75
Pre-Trial Services Montgomery County Ride On
Pre-Release and Reentry Services Montgomery County Ride On
Director's Office Take Route 75
Management Services Take Route 75