Skip to main content

Hauler and Collector Licensing, and Vehicle Registration

Collector/Hauler home page

Beginning October 29, 2018, the Transfer Station Administrative Office, located at 16101 Frederick Road, Derwood, Maryland 20855, will be undergoing renovations through the end of December 2018. During this time, the building will be closed to the public. Staff has been relocated to the Recycling Center located at 16105 Frederick Road, Derwood, Maryland 20855.

  • All deliveries should be rerouted to the Transfer Station Recycling Center
  • Collectors and Haulers needing to renew licenses or to obtain information on new licenses should go to the Transfer Station Recycling Center

Anyone collecting or transporting solid waste within Montgomery County, Maryland, must be licensed, per Chapter 48, Sections 48-19 to 48-30, of the Montgomery County Code (PDF 253 KB).

To receive a license and vehicle registrations, you must submit one package containing these fully-completed items. We cannot process incomplete packages. We must receive complete renewal packages at least 30 days prior to your expiration date. All copies or faxes must be readable.

Have questions?

Contact Verónica Fernández at 240-777-6565.

How long are licenses valid?

Solid Waste hauler and collector licenses expire one year from the date of issuance. Vehicle registrations expire on the same date as the license.

Must my company be located in Montgomery County?

You must either have an office business address in Montgomery County, or provide a local or toll-free telephone number.

Which laws apply to collectors and haulers in Montgomery County?

You must follow the provisions of the Montgomery County, Maryland, Solid Wastes Law (Chapter 48).

We will mail the Solid Wastes Law to you only upon request.

What data must I report?

In accordance with Executive Regulation 5-13AM, all County licensed haulers and collectors must submit a semi-annual tonnage report.

Are Disposal Accounts available?

Yes, if you can guarantee that you will be disposing of at least 20 tons of solid waste per month at the Montgomery County Solid Waste Transfer Station, you may qualify for a Disposal Account.

Which documents are required for licenses and vehicle registrations?

To ensure the timely completion and processing of your initial application and/or renewal of your current application, you must take the following actions and submit the required documents in order before we can inspect your vehicles.

All vehicles used for hauling and/or collection must have registrations issued and decals affixed under your hauler or collector license.

Go Top