Moving? Start or stop recycling or trash collection service

Return to Recycling and Trash Service for single-family homes

Start using County-provided collection service

  1. Confirm that you receive County-provided collection service, using our Collection Day Lookup. Or, call the Montgomery County Customer Service Center at 311 (or 240-777-0311).

    • Tip: sign up for our email and text service reminders and updates using the Lookup.

  2. If you are moving into an existing home with County-provided service, simply begin setting your items out at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day. You do not need to notify us.

  3. If you are moving into a newly-built home with County-provided service, contact us online or by calling the Montgomery County Customer Service Center at 311 (or 240-777-0311) to tell us you have moved in.

  4. Request recycling bins, paper recycling carts, and yard trim decals as needed.

  5. Buy a trash can, if needed. See our trash can guidelines.

How will I get billed?

You pay for County-provided collection service via the Solid Waste Charge on your annual property tax bill.

How do I recycle my moving boxes and packing paper?

We accept moving boxes and packing paper in our weekly curbside recycling collections. See cardboard and paper recycling details.

Stop using County-provided collection service

You do not need to notify us to stop County-provided collection service when you move out. Leave your recycling bins and cart for the next residents.

Use our "I want to recycle/dispose of..." search to help you prepare for your move.