Change from private to County-provided trash collection service

Return to Recycling and Trash Service for single-family homes

The basic steps required to request a change from privately-contracted trash collection service to County-provided service (or vice versa) are

  1. You submit a petition for the change, signed by 25 percent of the homeowners in your proposed collection area.
  2. Recycling and Resource Management Division staff will review the petition.
  3. If the petition is accepted, all homeowners within the proposed boundaries will be notified by mail, and will be asked to vote whether or not they want the County-provided service.
  4. A public hearing will be held on the proposed change.
  5. The votes will be tallied after the hearing.
  6. A decision will be made and homeowners will be notified about the outcome.

See detailed version of request process


Call 311 (outside-of-County 240-777-0311) for more information about the service request process, or to start a petition.