FARES: Effective July 1, 2014
Now Add Ride On's Monthly Pass to Your SmarTrip!
Seniors (age 65 years) now have a new Senior SmarTrip card that may be used to ride Metrorail at senior fares, ride free on Ride On buses and some Metrobuses in Montgomery County Monday - Friday between 9:30AM and 3PM or half fare at all other times. The cost of the Senior SmarTrip card is $2. There is no value on the card at the time of purchase. The new Senior SmarTrip Card may be presented to Ride On and Metro operators to ride free during free periods or to get half fare all other times in Montgomery County on most routes. During free times, please do not tap the Senior SmarTrip card on the target on the farebox because a fare will be deducted from the card. Make sure there is value on the card during times of half fare.
|HIGH SCHOOLS||MIDDLE SCHOOLS|
|Mont. Blair High School||Argyle Middle School|
|51 University Blvd East||2400 Bel Pre Road|
|Silver Spring, MD 20901||Silver Spring, MD 20906|
|Sherwood High School||Eastern Middle School|
|300 Olney-Sandy Spring Rd||300 University Blvd East|
|Sandy Spring, MD 20860||Silver Spring, MD 20901|
|Winston Churchill High School||Gaithersburg Middle School|
|11300 Gainsborough Road||2 Teachers’ Way|
|Potomac, MD 20854||Gaithersburg, MD 20877|
|Julius West Middle School|
|651 Great Falls Road|
|Rockville, MD 20850|
|Kingsview Middle School|
|300 University Blvd East|
|Germantown, MD 20895|
|Newport Mill Middle School|
|11311 Newport Mill Road|
|Kensington, MD 20895|
Once a rider has a Youth Cruiser SmarTrip, passes and stored value can be loaded onto Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® cards either in person or online at SmarTrip.com. Through their online account, customers have the option of automatically purchasing Youth monthly passes for their Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® Card, which is then added to a purchaser’s card seven days before the end of every month.
· Purchase the Youth Monthly passes or add value to the Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card in person at the following locations:
· Montgomery County Division of Treasury: 255 Rockville Pike, L-15, Rockville, (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. – 240-777-8930)
· Certain Giant Food stores in Montgomery County. See list for details.
· Certain CVS Pharmacy stores in Montgomery County. See list for details.
· Certain other retail stores. See list for details.
· For more information, these documents are available
· A special Youth summer pass is also available.
· Ride On passengers with Youth monthly passes who use the express Route 70 bus will be charged an additional $2.25 for each trip. The extra charge is automatically deducted from the stored valued loaded on the Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card.
· A Youth monthly pass purchased the 1st through the 15th of any month is active for the month in which it was purchased. If the Youth Monthly pass is purchased the 16th through the end of the month, the pass will be valid for the 1st day of the following month.
New Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® Card Now Available
· Ride On is now offering a new Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card for customers 5 to 18 years of age.
· Stored value can be added to the card for usage on Metrorail, Metrobus and other transit agencies that accept SmarTrip® cards.
· Ride On youth passengers will be able to add a summer Youth pass to the new Youth Cruiser SmarTrip® card. This Youth summer pass provides unlimited rides from June 1 through August 31 for $18 for one summer. The summer pass can be purchased starting May 16 until July 31.
KIDS RIDE FREE
Kids 18 years and younger are allowed to ride any Ride On bus and most * Metrobus routes within Montgomery County without paying a fare from 2 PM until 8 PM Monday- Friday year-round. The student must show the bus operator either a Youth Cruiser SmarTrip card, a valid school ID, or the student pass issued by Ride On. Elementary students do not need an ID.
Youth riding Route 70 Express buses or Metrobus J7 and J9 will need to pay an additional charge of $2.25 in cash.
To take the bus at other times, youth should consider buying a Monthly Youth Pass or Summer Youth Pass for unlimited rides on Ride On.
*C2, C4, C8, D5, F4, J1, J2, J3, J4, J5, J7, J9, K6, K9, L8, Q1, Q2, Q4, Q5, Q6, T2, Y5, Y7, Y8, Y9, Z2, Z6, Z8, Z9, Z11, Z13, Z29
Ride On or Metrobus tokens are accepted for one ride. A token is valued at $1.75.
Metrobus Student tokens are not accepted on Ride On.
Ride On no longer issues or accepts paper transfers.
You must use a SmarTrip card to get free transfers from bus-to-bus, including Metrobus or Ride On.
The time limit for transferring between buses is 2 hours.
SmarTrip users receive a 50 cents discount on their rail fare when transferring from Ride On to Metrorail.
SmarTrip users receive a 50 cents discount transferring from Metrorail trains to Ride On. This means that the bus fare for SmarTrip users will be $1.25 after riding the train.
Using a SmarTrip card has many benefits:
- Saves you $1.00 roundtrip when you use bus and Metrorail
- You can recover the balance of your money if your SmarTrip is lost or stolen. You must register your card ahead of time to take advantage of this.
Express Route 70:
An express fare is charged on the Route 70. These are the same fares charged on the Metrobus J7 and J9.
- Express Fare - Route 70 -SmarTrip or Cash $4.00
- Riders with SmarTrip will get free transfers to other local routes and a 50 cent discount going to or coming from Metrorail. Riders transferring from a local regular route to an Express will have the difference of $2.25 automatically deducted from their SmarTrip card.
- Ride On's Monthly Pass, Metro's Weekly Pass, or TLC will be good for $1.75 credit toward an express fare. The rider will have to pay the difference of $2.25 in cash, SmartTrip is not accepted for the "upcharge" of $2.25.
In person at these Sales Outlet Locations which includes Montgomery County Treasury, TRiPS Commuter Stores, Giant, CVS, etc.
MC311 dial 311 within the County or 240-777-0311 outside the County
TTY (for hearing impaired) 301-251-4850
Other helpful phone numbers:
Metro Information Center (202) 637-7000
TTY Metro Information Center (202) 638-3780
MARC Train Service 1-800-325-RAIL
MTA Transit Information 1-800-543-9809
For any MCDOT service request or complaint, call 311
When dialing outside of the county, call 240-777-0311 or submit via their website.
For website comments or to report website problems or broken links, please email us.
This email address does not handle service requests or complaints.
Transit Services · Montgomery County Department of Transportation
Questions/Comments · Inside Montgomery County dial 311 · TTY: 301-251-4850
Outside Montgomery County dial 240-777-0311