THE RIDE ON extRa: A LIMITED STOP FASTER SERVICE BETWEEN THE LAKEFOREST TRANSIT CENTER AND THE MEDICAL CENTER METRO STATION
What is the new Ride On extRa service?
- A limited stop ( 12 stops versus 80 along the route) faster service along state Route 355. Stops include: Lakeforest Transit Center, Summit Ave., Westland Dr., Shady Grove Metro, Montgomery College, Rockville Metro, Edmonston Dr., Halpine Rd., Marinelli Rd., Security Ln., Tuckerman Ln., and Medical Center Metro
- 10 minute frequency of service during peak rush hour periods
- Brand new and different buses with low floor boarding
- No loading of fare cards on buses
- Buses feature Free WiFi access, USB charging ports, information displays, and extra padding on seats
- Runs only during peak periods - Monday-Friday, 5:30-9:30am and 3:30-7:30pm
- Regular Ride On fare
- Traffic signal priority for this service
- Connection to 50% of the transit services network including the MARC rail, MTA buses, Metrobus, Metrorail, and 44 Ride On routes
How to Prepare for the Ride On extRa
The service will only take SmarTrip cards, passes, and cash. THERE WILL BE NO LOADING OF CASH ON TO A SMARTRIP CARD. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE ENOUGH FARE ON YOUR CARD OR USE CASH ON THESE BUSES. WWW.SMARTRIP.COM
What to Expect Between Now and October
The Ride On extRa service will be implemented on October 2, 2017. You will start to see some changes between now and implementation, so here is what to look for:
- New Bus Shelters and Bus Stop Flag Signs in the months preceding service, 15 bus shelters along the route will be customized to promote the new service. These bus shelters will be shared with other Ride On routes and Metrobus routes but wiII be the only stops (plus Metro stations) on this new service
- Ride On extRa service advertisements will be placed inside and outside buses, especially our buses in the northern region of the County. Other shelters not on the route will have advertisements promoting the new service.
Connecting People and Places!
To realize a future for Montgomery County that includes a first-rate, multi-modal transportation system, MCDOT is expanding choices for all the users of our network. The Ride On extRa represents the second tier of bus service in a four tier plan: