Platt Ridge Dr. Extension
- Montgomery County Department of Transportation (MCDOT)
- Maryland Department of Transportation, State Highway Administration
- Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
- Interim signal at JBR/Spring Valley Road and Barriers to entry points off Connecticut Avenue have been installed. Traffic study has been conducted. Montgomery County will constuct Platt Ridge Drive extension.
Scope of Work:
This project addresses concerns by Chevy Chase Valley neighborhood residents, located at the northwest corner of the intersection of Connecticut Avenue and Jones Bridge Road, about the impact of traffic safety and access in their neighborhood resulting from State Highway Administration intersection improvements.
- Install a traffic signal on Jones Bridge Road at Spring Valley Road by Sept. 2011
- When the traffic signal is installed on Jones Bridge Road at Spring Valley Road, install temporary physical barriers at the three entrances to the neighborhood on Connecticut Avenue to prohibit southbound right turns into the neighborhood
- Continue examining feasibility of extending Platt Ridge Drive through parkland to Montrose Drive
- After the Spring Valley signal and temporary barriers have been installed, conduct a traffic study to determine their impacts on regional mobility and whether the Platt Ridge Drive extension would be a better overall solution
- If deemed necessary, move forward with construction of the Platt Ridge Drive extension, and make the turn barriers on Connecticut Avenue permanent
- On completion of the Platt Ridge Drive extension, remove the signal on Jones Bridge Road at Spring Valley Road.
- 6-17-13 MCDOT Traffic Study and Preliminary Designs to complete traffic safety mitigation project for Chevy Chase Valley neighborhood: Platt Ridge Drive extension (NOTE some of these files are very large)
10-4-10: Montgomery County Department of Transportaton updated Chevy Chase Valley Traffic Access Study (24 pp)
- 8-17-10 Montgomery County Department of Transportaton Chevy Chase Valley Traffic Access Study (8 pp)
- 1-14-11 Montgomery County News Release: Leggett Announces Amended Six-Year Capital Construction Budget; Severe Budget
- Constraints Focus Funding on Critical Capital Needs While Delaying Some Projects -- Leggett also recommends design and construction of the Platt Ridge Drive Extension project to provide relief for residential neighborhoods adjacent to the Naval Medical Center Base Realignment and Closure project