How to File a Complaint

When our cable was disconnected by [a construction team], it was only after calling the Montgomery County Cable Office that we were "connected" to the appropriate personnel to correct the problem

Andrea, Silver Spring, MD

To file a complaint, please call 311 between the hours of 7 am and 7 pm and ask to file a cable complaint. Complaints can also to be filed electronically using our on-line complaint form via 311. if you have pictures to share of your submitted 311 complaint, please e-mail to [email protected]. Be sure to include your name, service address and daytime contact phone number so that we may follow-up with you.

Our Approach

Montgomery County offers assistance resolving cable and Internet service issues with franchised providers Comcast, RCN and Verizon. Subscribers should first contact the cable or broadband provider to resolve; if the issue is not resolved by the provider, the County will escalate the complaint and work to obtain the relief available under local or federal law. Complaints regarding damage from cable provider construction to yards, damage to outside cable equipment, and other construction issues can be reported directly to the Office of Community Technology without having to first contact the cable provider. If the subscriber's direct effort with the vendor, nor the Office of Community Technology's assistance yields a satisfactory solution, the issue may be escalated to the attention of the CCC.

Types of Complaint Services

The County has authority to enforce the customer service provision agreed to Comcast, RCN and Verizon in their franchise agreement with the County. The County also has authority to enforce the cable and broadband compliance provisions of the County Code. Under State law, the Maryland Public Service Commission has authority to address landline telephone issues. In addition, the Office of Consumer Protection can assist with mobile telephone billing issues. The Federal Communications Commission will also accept complaints regarding program content, accessibility, “slamming,” “cramming,” and do not call violation complaints. Consumers can contact the Office of Community Technology to help determine which agency can provide the best assistance.

Limits to the County's Cable & Broadband Compliant Resolution Authority

Regarding cable and broadband complaints, the County has authority to assist subscribers with billing and credits, service quality, service interruption and outages, damage from construction issues. The County has no authority to order the cable providers to carry specific channels, offer a la carte per channel pricing, or reduce the cost of cable or Internet service. The County has limited authority to ensure that the rates for cable equipment and limited basic service (i.e., local broadcast and cable channels) comply with federal rate regulations.