Days of Commemoration
In recognition of Montgomery County’s religious, ethnic and cultural diversity and in respect for the diversity of its own workforce, on March 28, 2006, the County Council passed legislation (Bill No. 1-06: Special Days of Commemoration) to designate certain days of commemoration relating to the religious, ethnic and cultural heritage of County residents. On July 7, 2006, the County Executive signed the legislation into law.
For regulations governing leave and alternate work schedules for religious observance, County government employees can refer to the Personnel Regulations located on HR Resource Library. Also see Office of Community Outreach August 11, 2006 memorandum to County government employees.
- Chase’s Calendar of Events 2006. McGraw-Hill.2006.
- The Folklore of American Holidays 2nd. Edition. Gale Research 1991.
- Holidays , Festivals, and Celebrations of the World Dictionary. Omnigraphics.2005.
- Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved October 26, 2006
- We wish to thank the Montgomery County Public Libraries’ Ask-A-Librarian Reference Services for providing the background and research on the definitions for each of the Special Days of Commemoration.