Proposed Framework for a Counties Open Government Partnership
Montgomery County Maryland
December 17, 2012
- To provide a forum for the identification and sharing of practices and experiences in improving government transparency, service efficiency and effectiveness, community engagement and collaboration, public-private service coordination, and economic development.
- To build an ecosystem of open county governments and open government practices that all NACo member counties can share, exchange, and advance to innovate and improve government services and the quality of life in their communities.
A Counties Open Government Partnership will seek to:
- Strengthen and increase civic use of innovation, cross-collaboration and improved accountability through open government initiatives;
- Showcase the leadership of counties highlighting innovation and creative best practices to increase opportunities for collaboration with the private sector;
- Secure commitments that will make county governments more efficient, effective, and responsive by embracing the use of open government innovation;
- Empower private and non-profit sector organizations to partner with government to make services more efficient, effective, and responsive to residents;
- Develop action plans to promote transparency, support a marketplace for entrepreneurship, energize civic engagement and collaboration, and leverage new technologies;
- Form an advocacy for counties in working with state governments, the White House and Congress to expand funding to support initiatives that direct resources to harness the capabilities of counties in developing regional industries, innovation and export clusters; and
- Form partnerships with other Open Government Partnerships including the Mayor’s Open Government Innovation Partnership.
- Tim Firestine, CAO, Montgomery County Government, 101 Monroe Street, 2nd Floor, Rockville, MD 20850
- Hans Riemer, Councilmember, Montgomery County Council, 100 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, MD 20850