The Internal Affairs Division is committed to conducting fair, unbiased, and expedient investigations into allegations of misconduct on the part of officers and civilian employees of the police department. Citizens and employees can feel confident that matters of concern will be addressed in the appropriate manner.

How do I submit a compliment?

  • Prepare a brief description of the employee’s performance and mail it to the employee’s district commander.
  • Find list of Districts.
  • If you do not know where the employee is assigned, you may forward your letter to the Office of the Chief.
  • A copy of the complimentary letter will be placed in the employee’s personnel file.
  • You will be notified via a letter from the Office of the Chief that the Department has received your compliment.

Compliment/complaint Process Brochure

Compliment Form (in English or Spanish)

How do I file a complaint?

  • You can file a complaint either in person, through the mail, over the telephone, via fax, or via email. 
  • In person complaints can be made at any of the six district stations or at Police Headquarters.
  • Complaints can also be sent to the Internal Affairs Division at 100 Edison Park Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 20878, or via email to
  • It is preferable, but not required, to submit a completed Complaint Form (see link below).  In addition to being available online, complaint forms are also available at any district station or at Police Headquarters.
  • Complaints can also be made to the Internal Affairs Division via the telephone at 240-773-6000, or sent via fax to 240-773-6016.
  • Additionally, complaints can also be received and forwarded to the Internal Affairs Division by any department employee.
  • Complainants may remain anonymous, however, the Internal Affairs Division encourages complainants to provide their name and telephone number and/or email address in order to allow us the opportunity to conduct a thorough investigation into the alleged violation(s).
  • Once a complaint has been received, the complainant will be notified by the Department and informed of who will be investigating the complaint.  If a name and number or email address is provided by the complainant, they will be personally contacted by the investigator.
  • Note:  Please be advised that submitting a complaint to the Internal Affairs Division will not have any effect on criminal or civil charges that have been placed against a person by the police.  Only the courts and the State’s Attorney’s Office can resolve those matters. 

Compliment/Complaint Process Brochure

Complaint Form (in English or Spanish)

Frequently Asked Questions