SCOPE OF WORK:
- Construct a pedestrian underpass between the Medical Center Metro station and the campus of Naval Support Activity-Bethesda, which includes the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
- Construct deep elevators to the Metro platform near the Navy gate at South Wood Drive
- Develop at-grade Transportation Systems Management and Transportation Demand Management elements to promote pedestrian safety and improve traffic operations.
The MD 355 Crossing (BRAC) project is located in Bethesda, Maryland, a densely populated and developed area inside the Capital Beltway (I-495), and adjacent to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Naval Support Activity-Bethesda (NSAB), which is home to the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC). The focus of project is on the intersection of MD 355/Rockville Pike and South Wood Road/South Drive.
The purpose of the project is to improve the movement of the traveling public between the west and east sides of MD 355/Rockville Pike at its intersection with South Wood Road and South Drive in Bethesda. The project is intended to:
- enhance/improve access to mass transit facilities;
- improve the mobility and safety of pedestrians and bicyclists crossing MD 355/Rockville Pike,
- improve traffic operations at the signalized intersection of South Wood Road, South Drive, and MD 355; and
- improve the capacity and operation of the intersection of MD 355 (Rockville Pike) and Jones Bridge Road/Center Drive.
The project includes a proposed shallow underpass below MD 355, new deep high-speed elevators and emergency stairs on the NAVY side, and a new deep tunnel connection between the new deep high speed elevator and the existing Metrorail tunnel. In addition, roadway surface improvements include traffic signal, pavement resurfacing, full-depth pavement, sidewalk/bike path, median work, and stormwater management facilities; extension of the southbound MD 355 left turn lane in the existing median of MD 355 to improve queuing for vehicles turning left onto South Wood Road; and MD 355/Jones Bridge Road intersection improvements (curb radius expansions and reductions, improved sidewalks and a shared use path, pedestrians crosswalks, traffic signals, drainage, and paving). Additional information about the MD 355 (Rockville Pike)/Jones Bridge Road intersection project can be fiound here.
PROJECT DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION MILESTONES:
- October 2012 Completion of review of MCDOT’s federal procurement procedures
- May 2013 Issue Request for Expressions of Interest (REOI) for Design-Build Team
- June 2013 6-Party Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) signed; Federal funding released
- September 2013 Select Reduced Candidate List for Design-Build Team
- January 2015 Issue Design-Build Request for Proposals (RFP)
- Spring/Summer 2015 Select Design-Build Team
- Summer/Fall 2015 Start of Construction
- Summer/Fall 2018 Substantial Completion
- Winter 2018 Complete construction
- Montgomery County Department of Transportation has received approval of plan from the Federal Highway Administration. A design-build process will be used to expedite construction once a contract has been awarded.
12-2-14 MCDOT Presentation on the Crossing Project RFP (Request for Proposals) (requires Adobe Flash Player)
6-18-13 MCDOT Public Presentation on the MD 355 Multimodal Crossing Project at the Medical Center Metro Station (15 pp)
5-29-13 MCDOT Request for Expressions of Interest (REOI) for Design-Build MD 355 Multimodal Crossing Project & Intersection Improvements at MD 355/Jones Bridge Road (40 pp)
4-19-13 MCDOT Industry Information: Detailed Presentation for Design-Build Route 355 Multimodal Crossing Projecrt (28 pp)
Maryland Route 355 Multimodal Crossing Project -- FY2013 Capital Improvements Plan (CIP)
11-1-11 U.S. Department of Defense News Release: Defense Officials Distribute BRAC Traffic Money
Sept. 2011: MCDOT FINAL REPORT on Multimodal Crossing Project (292 pp)
- 5-13-11 Federal Highway Administration letter approving Categorical Exclusion for MD 355 Crossing Project, qualifying it for federal funding (14 pp)
- 12-6-10 Montgomery County Planning Board discussion of Staff Recommendations on the MD 355 Crossing Project -- Local Preferreed Alternative.
- 7-20-10 MC-DOT Public Meeting on MD 355/Rockville Pike Crossing Study
- 5-11-10 Montgomery County Dept. of Transportation (MC-DOT) Presentation: MD355/Rockville Pike Crossing Project-Medical Center Metro station (13 pp)
- 3-24-10 MD 355/Rockville Pike Crossing Project: Montgomery County Department of Transportation Final Purpose and Need Summary (4 pp)
- 2-1-10 MD 355/Rockville Pike Crossing Project: Montgomery County Department of Transportation DRAFT Purpose & Need Summary (2 pp)
- 1-19-10 Montgomery County Department of Transportation Public Meeting on the NEPA process pertaining to the Pedestrian Access study between National Naval Medical Center and the Medical Center Metro Station
- Proposed east-side entrance to Medical Center Red Line Metro Station:
- WMATA presentation, June 19, 2007
- Updated Presentation, Oct. 21, 2008
- Updated Presentation, Feb. 24, 2009
- Updated Presentation, June 16, 2009
- FINAL REPORT, July 29, 2009 (101 pp)
- Why a Beltway exit ramp to the Military Medical Center may not be feasible: