The Montgomery County Office of Public Information is available to answer your questions, direct you to appropriate offices, or facilitate coordination with County agencies such as, Police, Fire or Economic Development. Our goal is to make the process of filming in Montgomery County as easy as possible.
Some things to consider:
- It is not always necessary to obtain a permit to film in Montgomery County.
- We require permits for filming if your production will close – or block – public rights-of-ways, i.e., roads, sidewalks, etc.
- If you want to close a particular street, you will need to complete an application through our Department of Transportation (choose the application for “parades, races, etc.”).
- While there is no charge for this type of permit, the process could take several weeks to complete, so plan accordingly.
- Along with this application, be prepared to submit a certificate of insurance.
- If you want a Montgomery County Police officer(s) available on your shoot, you will need to hire off-duty Police officers through the Fraternal Order of Police (Montgomery County Police union).
- Contact the FOP at 301-948-4286 for this service.
- Montgomery County does not regulate filming on privately-owned property.
- We do, however, ask that you let us know about your film plans so we can alert the local Police District station in the event that they get any calls from concerned residents about “suspicious activity.”
Further questions should be directed to Lorraine Driscoll in the Office of Public Information at 240-777-6533.
Film questions related to other parts of the State of Maryland
Questions should be directed to the Maryland Film Office, 401 East Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21202, 410-767-6340. Also, check out the Maryland Film Office website at www.marylandfilm.org.
Photo credits for film strip (top to bottom):
All photos are from the Keep Montgomery County Beautiful (KMCB) Beautification Awards Annual Photography Contest
Brookside Gardens - Judith MacArthur, Wheaton; The Carleton - Ruppert Landscape, Chevy Chase; Rockville Town Square - The Brickman Group, Rockville; Rio at Night - Cynthia P. Hunter, Gaithersburg