Make a Kit
One of the most critical steps you can take to sustain yourself and your family during a disaster is to create an emergency kit before the disaster strikes.
An emergency kit contains items you might need including food, water, medication, a flashlight, a radio, and batteries. These items will help you if you are asked to stay home for as many as three days.
However, a kit may also be useful incase you have to evacuate your home. If the items you need are in your emergency kit, you will not have to scramble at the last minute to gather important items.
Include the following items in your emergency kit:
- Water - One gallon per person per day for at least three days
- Food - A three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Can Opener - Manual hand-cranking
- Radio - Battery-powered or hand-cranking
- Flashlight - With extra batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Medication - A three-day supply
- Toiletries - For personal hygiene
- Copies of Important Documents - Insurance policies, identification, and bank accouns in a waterproof container
- Other Items (Depending on the Household) - Infant formula and diapers, extra clothing, books or games for children
For information on how to assemble an emergency kit, visit the following sites:
- Assembling a kit for your pet - information from Ready.gov
Montgomery County's Are You Emergency Ready brochure includes informaiton on items that should be in your emergency kit.