Important Information for Business Owners about the Hazardous Materials Permitting Program

To Log-In or Register as a New User for the Hazardous Use Certification System, please go to:

Who must report?

All facilities using, processing, trasferring, storing, or manufacturing hazardous substances that exceed a minimum threshold of 5 gallons or 50 pounds must report to OEMHS. Chemicals that fit into the definition of hazardous materials are commonly used in the following types of businesses: 

  • Auto Body & Repair Shops
  • Dry Cleaners
  • Electric, Gas, and Water Utility Companies
  • Exterminators
  • Gas Stations
  • Laboratories 
  • Swimming Pools


What information gets reported?

All hazardous materials and their locations must get reported. This can be defined as solids, liquids, or gases that can harm people, other living organisms, or the environment. 


Why should facilities report?

Facilities must report for several different reasons.
  • It's the Law: Facilities are required by law to file information about the hazardous materials they are storing within 30 days.
  • Inventory: Federal Law allows for citizens to inquire about hazardous material amounts and locations for informational and planning purposes. 
  • Safety: An accurate report of hazardous materials helps emergency first responders take proper precautions if ever responding to an incident where these substances are stored.
  • Avoiding Penalties: Failure to comply with annual filings can result in accruing costly late fees or even the closure of a business. 

When should facilities report?

When a business or facility registers with the HAZMAT Use Certificate System, the facility will automatically be categorized. Registration fees and filing due dates are based on this categorization, as charted in the table below:

Categories of HAZMAT Use Certificate System

  Facility Type   Annual Fee   Filing Date
  Pools   Various   June 1
  Light Use   $100   May 1
  General Use   $250   September 1
  High Use   $400   August 1
  SARA   $1000   March 1


How do facilities report?

Follow these steps to register your facility or complete your annual report:

Frequently Asked Questions

I tried to register online, but I am having some problems. Can someone help me?

For issues registering for the system, a more detailed FAQ is available on the Hazardous Use Certification System

Our office periodically offers free instructional courses on how to register online with the Hazardous Use Certification System. 

You may also come in for a consultation with our Program Specialist for a consultation fee of $100/hour. To arrange a consultation, send an email to:  [email protected].

For specific questions, please call 3-1-1 (or 240-777-0311 outside of the county).


How do I know what category my business falls into? 

Facilities are automatically categorized when you register through the Hazardous Use Certification System. 


What will happen if I don't register?

An enforcement officer from Montgomery County Fire and Rescue checks in with businesses to be sure that they are in compliance. If a current HAZMAT permit is not on display, you will be asked to bring your account current or you may risk the closing of your business. 

Get the Facts!

Details about the laws and definitions referenced can be found in Montgomery County Executive Regulation 3-12AM

Hazardous Materials Use Permit Application System Overview

Download the training materials for the Hazardous Materials Use Certificate System Training

Contact Us

100 Edison Park Drive

Gaithersburg, MD 20878

[email protected]

Or call us at: 311