Winter weather brings the potential of dangerous road conditions, freezing temperatures, and loss of power.
- A Winter Weather Advisory means cold, ice, and snow are expected.
- A Winter Storm Watch means severe weather is possible in the next 24 - 48 hours.
- A Winter Storm Warning means severe weather conditions have begun or will begin soon.
Before the storm:
- Make sure your emergency kit is stocked.
- Ensure you have an emergency kit in your car.
- Make sure your car's fuel tank is full.
During the storm:
- Stay indoors and only travel if absolutely necessary.
- If you must go outside, dress in layers and walk carefully on snowy or icy walkways.
- Maintain ventilation if using kerosene heaters or a generator. Refill heaters outside and keep them at least three feet from flammable objects.
Tip: Avoid traveling by car. If you must drive, ensure your car has a full tank of gas. Let someone know your destination and the route you expect to take.
Remember to listen to the radio and sign up for Alert Montgomery to stay informed and receive further instructions in the event of an emergency.
For more information on winter storms visit Ready.gov