Class C One-Day Special Licenses - Frequently Asked Questions

When is a One-Day License required?
A One-Day license is required if any of the following circumstances apply to your event:

  • The event is open to the public. There is no private guest list, or anyone can walk in uninvited.
  • There is a fee associated with the event. There is a ticket price, a cash bar, donation for attendance or door charge.
  • There are other fundraising activities being held at the event, such as a silent auction or a "Basket of Cheer" consisting of certain alcoholic beverages.

Who can apply for a One-Day License?
Any nonprofit club, society, or association holding a bona fide event may apply for a Class C One-Day Special License to serve or sell alcoholic beverages.

How will LRE verify my nonprofit status?
You will need to submit a copy of your Letter of Determination that was issued to your organization by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). To receive a Letter of Determination, please contact IRS at 1-800-829-3676.

How do I apply for a One-Day License?
You can
apply online
Please submit applications 14 days prior to date of event. 

What is the fee for a One-Day License?
$30 per day for beer and wine, and $60 per day for beer, wine and liquor.

How do I pay for my One-Day License?
The license fee can be paid online once your application has been approved by the Board of License Commissioners. Once you pay, you can print your license and post it the day of the event where people can read it.

When will my license be approved?
The Board of License Commissioners approves One-Day Licenses at hearings on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month. Licenses will be approved online after the hearings.

Is a security plan necessary when applying for a One-Day License?
A security plan is required for all outdoor events and any other event expecting 300 or more attendees. The security plan should include food menu and security patrol/officers -if necessary.

Where can I hire security?
You may contact the Montgomery County Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) at 301-948-4286 or email
[email protected]
Request must be submitted at least 5 days prior to the event. Cost is $50 per hour with a minimum of 3 hours.

Is an alcohol plan necessary when applying for a One-Day License?
An alcohol plan is required for ALL events. Alcohol plans should include:

  • An alcohol service plan
  • Alcohol policies relating to under 21 alcohol use prevention responsible sales

Does alcohol service have to end by a certain time?
All alcohol service for a One-Day Special License must end when your license expires.  This means that alcohol must be cleared off the tables and removed from the event.  

How do I purchase alcohol for my event?

Alcohol must be purchased from the ABS' warehouse and/or dispensaries, or any off-sale beer and wine licensee located within Montgomery County, Maryland.

To purchase alcohol from ABS:

  • Email [email protected] or fax 240-777-1909 your license number along with item numbers of the product you would like for your event.
  • Visit one of the retail stores
  • Warehouse orders can be placed up to two weeks in advance of an event, once a one day license has been issued. 
  • Alcohol can be purchased or picked up 2 (two) days prior to the event date.  

What is the alcohol return policy for One-Day events?
Alcohol purchased from ABS can be returned up to 2 (two) days after the end of the event.

One-Day event license holders may return only ten percent (10%) of total number of cases ordered for event.  They must be stock items that are full cases, unchilled and/or untapped kegs.  Partial cases, product that has been chilled, and/or special order items may not be returned.  All returns must be brought to the ABS Warehouse pick-up window following the next pick-up window opening day from the day of the event. The pick-up window is located at 201 Edison Park Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 20872 and is open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Are refrigerated trucks available for rent?
Please reach out the ABS Communication Center for availability.  If available, refrigerated truck rentals are $450. 

How do I find product price listing?
To view product and current price list, visit the
Licensee portal.

Are alcohol donations allowed for One-Day events?
The Board has had many inquiries regarding suppliers or wholesales donating alcoholic beverages for events. All alcoholic beverages must be purchased in accordance with the information outlined in the previous paragraphs. However, the supplier may make a monetary contribution to the charity in the amount of monies necessary to purchase the alcohol.

Can alcohol purchased under a One-Day Special License for a specific day and charity be sold after the license expires?
The alcohol purchased under a One-Day Special License may not be sold after the license expires.  It may not be saved for a future event.  Alcohol receipts must be dated after the One-Day Special License was issued.

Can kegs be purchased for my One-Day event?
Yes, kegs must be purchased from the ABS' warehouse and/or dispensaries, or any off-sale beer and wine licensee located within Montgomery County, Maryland. All kegs must be purchased in compliance with the State of Maryland/Montgomery County keg registration requirements.