About MC311

See more in MC311

311 is Montgomery County’s phone number for non-emergency government information and services. 
For emergency calls, residents should continue to call 911.

Features of MC311

  • MC311 provides a single contact number and website for non-emergency requests for information and service requests for Montgomery County Government. 
  • You can reach us by calling 311 within Montgomery County or 240-777-0311 from anywhere.  
  • Your call will be answered by a live, highly trained, professional Customer Service Representative Monday–Friday, 7:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m. 
  • Translation assistance is available in any language spoken anywhere in the world. Just ask. 
  • Your MC311 Customer Service Representative will either provide you the information requested, or send the request to the appropriate department for fulfillment. 
  • You will be given a service request number so you can track the progress of your request online or through a follow-up phone call.
  • Request service and information at mc311.com anytime day or night to access information or create a request for service online. 
  • Log on to Twitter.com and tweet us @311MC311. Tweets are monitored Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:00p.m.
  • Maryland Relay Service is available by calling 800-552-7724 or 410-767-6960 (Voice/TTY) or 443-453-5970 (Video Phone).

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q. What is 311?
A. 311 is Montgomery County government’s new, telephone number to find government programs and services.

Q. Can I go online for information and services?
A. Yes. Go to  www.montgomerycountymd.gov/311. It’s available 24/7.

Q. How will police, fire or medical emergency calls be handled?
A. If a call that comes into 311 office is an actual emergency, the call will immediately be transferred to a 911 operator and the 311 Customer Service Representative will stay on the line to ensure that the caller is properly connected. For other urgent issues such as emergency shelter, mental health, domestic violence, or child or adult abuse, the caller will be immediately transferred to the Crisis Center at 240-777-4000.

Q. Why 311?
A. Makes it much easier to reach County departments and services and greatly expands information available online.

Q. Can I reach 311 if I am outside of the County?
A. Yes, by calling 240-777-0311.

Q. Is the call to 311 free on my cell phone?
A. Check with your carrier as fees vary. Some may be free, others may charge a fee.

Q. What hours does the 311 call center operate?
A. The Customer Service Center is open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Online access is available anytime, day or night, at  www.montgomerycountymd.gov/311.

Q. What happens when I call 311?
A. You will hear a brief announcement welcoming you to MC311 and asking you to select your preferred language. You will then be connected to a trained and knowledgeable professional ready to assist you. The Customer Service Center is multilingual and equipped with TDD/TTY for the hearing impaired.

Q. When should I contact 311?
A. If you need information on Montgomery County services and programs, would like to make a request for services or have a complaint or compliment for County officials, call 311, or go to www.montgomerycountymd.gov/311.

Q. Will I need to give my name when calling or emailing?
A. MC311 will collect information that you provide while speaking to a Customer Service Representative or by email. Only the information needed to provide the services you have requested will be collected. MC311 callers may provide comments or request some information and services anonymously.

Q. Is 311 accessible to callers with limited English proficiency?
A. Yes. Several of our Customer Service Representatives speak Spanish. In addition, the MC311 Customer Service Center offers a language translation service with over 150 languages available. After calling 311, press 1, for Spanish, or stay on the line to ask the next available customer service Representative to request to conduct the call in the language of your choice. Our translation service will be made available to you. 

Q. What happens after I contact 311?
A. The Customer Service Representative will either provide you with the information you requested, or send the service request to the appropriate department. You will be given a service request number so you can track the progress of your request online or through a follow-up phone call.

Q. Will the MC311 Customer Service Center follow up on a resident’s request?
A. MC311 representatives can check the status of a service request, but the task of ensuring that a job is complete is the responsibility of the particular department handling the request.

Q. Can I still call a department directly if I know the number?
A. You may still call a direct number, however, about 30 county government numbers you have called in the past are currently re-routed to the 311 call center.

Q. What happens if I live in the city limits of any of the municipalities in Montgomery County?
A. You will still be able to call 311, however, you may be directed to call your local municipal government office if your request for service falls under their jurisdiction.

Q. Can I call 311 about public schools or Montgomery College information?
A. Inquiries about public schools or Montgomery College will still go directly to those organizations.

Q. What happens if I call 311 during off-hours?
A. You will hear a recording giving you the hours of operation and directing you to call 911 or the Crisis Center in the event of an emergency.

Q. What about during emergencies – will 311 be on the job?
A. MC311 Customer Service Center will support all County emergency response efforts including severe weather, public health and public safety events.

Q. Can I sign up to testify at a public hearing by calling 311?
A. You will be re-directed to the agency taking sign ups for public hearings.

Q. Can I call 311 about job openings in Montgomery County government?
A. Yes. MC311 Customer Service Representatives can answer your questions and give instructions on how to apply for County employment.

Q. Can I schedule an appointment at a County health clinic by calling 311?
A. No. It will still be necessary to speak directly with the health clinic to schedule an appointment. MC311 call takers will transfer these calls to the appropriate health clinic.

Today's Events