Skip Navigation
logo of MCDOT
YouTube MCDOT Highway Services videos

   Montgomery County Department of Transportation
   Division of Highway Services  


Snow Removal Claims Guidelines

Property located within the right of way


Other Structures

Occasionally, structures other than mailboxes are placed within the right of way. Claims for damage to structures that are permitted in the right of way will be handled as follows:


Property owners often plant and seed within the right of way abutting their property. During the ordinary course of removing snow, damage to this kind of landscaping can occur - from movement of snow and ice, contact with equipment and from salting.

Private Property and Parked Vehicles

Snow removal activities do not usually cause damage to private property located outside the right of way of roads maintained by the County. However, in the event any private property was damaged as a result of snow removal operations, an investigation will be conducted and liability of the County will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Whenever possible in advance of a snow storm, vehicle owners should attempt to park their vehicles off the street. We recognize that this is not always possible. Occasionally, parked vehicles may be struck by snow removal equipment. Liability for damage to privately owned vehicles will be determined after a full investigation of the occurrence.

Salt and Sand Distribution

Salt and sand distribution is a necessary part of snow and ice removal and is considered normal roadway maintenance. Generally these operations do not cause damage to vehicles unless the vehicle is following too closely and refuses to yield to a snow removal vehicle.

The County will not pay for paint damage to vehicles caused by normal salt and sand distribution.


The County periodically hires contractors to help with snow removal. Contractors are required to carry insurance to cover damage for which they may be liable. In the event of damage caused by a contractor, a claim must be filed directly with the contractor. The County cannot assume responsibility for damage caused by contractors.

Claims for Damage

To file a claim for damage as a result of snow removal operations, call the MC311 to report the damage



For any MCDOT service request or complaint, call 311
When dialing outside of the county, call 240-777-0311 or submit via their website.

For website comments or to report website problems or broken links, please email us.
This email address does not handle service requests or complaints.

Highway Services · Montgomery County Department of Transportation
Questions/Comments · Inside Montgomery County dial 311 · TTY: 240-773-3556
Outside Montgomery County dial 240-777-0311