NOTE: Effective March 1, 2016, the License Department will no longer accept personal checks for marriage licenses that are issued here.
Obtaining a marriage license is a fairly straightforward process requiring about 15 minutes to complete. Below are certain rules that you may want to keep in mind when applying for a marriage license in Montgomery County, Maryland:
- At the time of application, a license fee of $55.00 must be paid by CASH, CREDIT CARD (with the exception of American Express) or MONEY ORDER (Personal Checks are not accepted).
- Maryland requires that a marriage license be obtained from the Circuit Court in the county where the marriage is to take place regardless of the residency of the couple to be married. If you are planning to be married in Montgomery County, Maryland, you must obtain a marriage license from the Clerk of Montgomery County Circuit Court.
- The marriage license must be purchased at least 48 hours before the marriage ceremony. Couples can obtain a waiver if a judge approves it. Normally, military service or a family illness can be the grounds (reasons) for a waiver. Contact the License Department for additional information.
- If you have more than one last name, you should use your complete name on the license.
- Please review your application carefully. Any necessary corrections should be made before the license is issued.
- At the time of application, please provide I.D. for both parties, such as a driver's license, birth certificate, passport, military I.D. or alien registration card, and Social Security Number.
For Residents of Montgomery County, Maryland
If the marrying parties are both residents of Montgomery County, one of the parties to be married appears before the Clerk and gives, under oath, the following information for both parties:
- The full name of each party
- The place of residence of each party
- The state or county of birth of each party
- The age of each party
- Whether either party was married previously, and the date and place of each death or judicial determination that ended any former marriage
- Social Security Number of each party who has a Social Security Number
- Whether the parties are related by blood or marriage and, if so, in which degree of relationship
For Non-residents of Montgomery County, Maryland
If the parties to be married do not live in Montgomery County and are unable to appear in person to apply, they may apply for a marriage license using a Non-Resident Marriage Application(ms word). Contact the License Department for additional information (Phone: 240-777-9460).
In 2006, over 5,800 marriage ceremonies were held in the Courthouse. Marriage ceremonies are performed by appointment only. If you wish to hold your ceremony at the Courthouse, please contact the License Department. You must obtain your marriage license before you may schedule a ceremony. The fee for the ceremony is $25.00 (cash only).
You must present identification such as drivers license or passport before the ceremony.
To schedule an appointment for a marriage ceremony, please contact the License Department (240-777-9460).
You will need certified copies of your marriage license to use them as legal proof of your marriage. Certified copies of a marriage license may be obtained from the License Department.
If you are getting married at the Courthouse, you can purchase it when you pay for your ceremony. If you are getting married elsewhere in Montgomery County, you can purchase the certified copy of your marriage license about a week after your celebrant returns your marriage information to the License Department. You may request the certified copy in person during office hours or send a request by mail. When you request in writing, please include in your request:
Names of the parties
Marriage license number
Date of the marriage
Self-addressed stamped envelope
Check or Money Order payable to the Clerk of the Court
The fee for each certified copy of a marriage license is $5.50.
If a couple has been married in another state or country and one of the parties is a citizen of Maryland, the couple may record the marriage ("foreign marriage") at the License Department. The parties must provide a certificate of marriage signed by the individual who performed the marriage or an official certified copy of the marriage record. There is no fee to record a foreign marriage.
In Montgomery County a marriage license must be used within six months or it will expire.
If you marry outside the court, the celebrant needs to fill out and return the Minister’s Return Form. This information is needed to complete the record.
Correction to Marriage Records must be requested in writing (along with supporting documentation, for example: birth certificate to prove your name is spelled differently than what is shown on your marriage record.) You may, for your convenience, use our Correction Request form () and mail to our office at 50 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20850.
50 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20850
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM